THIRTY-NINE

Nini and Charlie walked hand-in-hand towards the Administrative building, dressed businesslike enough to impress Charlie's parents who informed him that they were already at the welcome party. "I don't even know why I'm coming," Charlie chuckled, giving Nini's hand a squeeze as they rounded a sidewalk corner. "My parents are more excited to see you than me."

          The girl shook her head, denying his claim. She had been dating Charlie for a while now, and she had met his parents under multiple occasions. It was their prestige that intimidated her. Although Nini was a spectacular student and leader herself, she always feared that Mr. and Mrs. Kingston imagined more for their child prodigy. That worry always went away, though, when they welcomed her with open arms; she just needed to get over that initial anxious hump.

          "That's not true," Nini laughed nervously. "My moms, though? Never stop talking about you."

          "How could they?" Charlie playfully flicked his hair, a cocky smirk on his lips.

Nini nudged him, nodding towards the massive Administrative building that was now in their view. "Time to put on that professional smile, Mr. Nepotism."

"Hey! I've earned everything I've ever gotten," Charlie scoffed with a jokingly offended tone.

"I'm messing with you....sort of."

When the couple entered the building, it was packed with parents and students chatting while enjoying the refreshments scattered on miniature high tables around the lobby. They didn't have to scan the room for Mr. and Mrs. Kingston; they were always in the same place.

Charlie led Nini down one of the hallways to the President's office, practically a fortress at the end of the dimly lit corridor. The gothic door was propped open just enough for the teenagers to see inside, the two spotting a pair of well-dressed adults talking. When they approached the office, Nini held onto Charlie tighter while he placed a careful knock on the door. The adults turned around slowly, tight lips forming into grins at the sight of the couple making their way into the room.

          "There he is!" Mr. Kingston, a tall brunette in a blue suit coat and matching dress pants, clapped his hands when he saw his son.

          Mrs. Kingston, a shorter blond in a complementary eyelet dress, immediately stepped towards Charlie with her hands held out. "My darling," she cooed as she cupped Charlie's face in her hands, pulling his head down to her height so she could kiss his forehead. "Is it possible you've grown more, Charles?"

          "Of course he has," Mr. Kingston boomed, now beside Charlie and strongly patting the athlete on the back. "Approaching six-foot-two, aren't we?"

          "Hey, Mom. Dad," Charlie greeted, beaming from ear to ear once he faced them properly. He then gave Nini a light shove on the small of her back, encouraging the frozen girl to speak up.

          "And Nina," Mrs. Kingston diverted her attention to the cheerleader once she saw the girl shuffle a few steps ahead from Charlie's push.

          "It's so wonderful to see you, Mrs. Kingston," Nini greeted maturely as Charlie's affectionate mother wrapped her in a warm hug.

          Mr. Kingston stuck his hand out for Nini to shake, which she accepted without hesitation. "How have you been, Nina? How have the both of you been?"

          Nini swallowed, straightening her posture. "Well, we ha–"

          "Things have been good, Dad."