Chapter 20: They Didn't Tell Me That Playing Cupid Had Consequences

Banner of AnnaSophia Robb as Emma Roscoe.

---

Chapter 20: They Didn't Tell Me That Playing Cupid Had Consequences

"I feel like we haven't had a girl's night in forever," I wailed.

Emma prodded my shoulder, grinning. "That's because you've been with your lovers. You have no time for me anymore," she pouted.

"Aw, Emma!" I cooed, wrapping my arms around her and enveloping her into a bone-crushing hug. "I always have time for you. You just call me and I'll cancel everything."

She patted my back gently, like I was some extremely awkward person who just randomly hugged her. And I am, but we're friends, so it's okay. "Can't. Breathe."

I let go and giggled. "Sorry."

"But really, you're taking this whole thing so seriously. Wait...you're not actually developing feelings for these guys, are you? Aside from Luke, of course. We all know that you have the hots for him." She winked.

I blushed slightly at Emma's crude words. "I...I..."

As much as I'd like to say that I had no feelings that weren't bad towards them, I couldn't because I'd be lying. And I didn't like to lie to Emma. She was always open with me. I liked our relationship—we could tell each other anything.

I enjoyed being around Ian and Tyler, I really did. Their company was unique compared to Luke and Emma; they didn't know my deepest, darkest secrets. Not that I really had any, but if I did, those two would know. Now whether or not they were romantic, I'm not sure. I liked kissing Ian, but would that fall under romance or the 'friends with benefits' category? I needed to sort things out before I continued on with the game. Playing without priorities was like winging your vows at your wedding—it would most likely end up in disaster.

"Oh my goodness!" she shrieked, roughly jerking my arm. "You do!"

"So what if I do?" I mumbled.

"You're putting yourself in danger," she said in a low voice. Her face was completely serious, like she was going to tell me she was going to murder me. She broke out into a smile before laughing. "I'm sorry! I can't not smile."

I suddenly felt guilty for blowing her off. I didn't realize how much I've missed her until this moment. She was just so sweet and goofy to not be around. I made a mental note to clear my schedule at least once a week to have some sort of bonding time.

"You're ridiculous, Em."

"Why, thank you," she said with a sultry look, resulting in yet another fit of giggles from the both of us. "So tell me how your summer in California was. Did you meet any cute guys at the beach?"

I wrinkled my nose. "I wish! I was stuck at my grandparent's house for most of the time. Granny didn't like to be left alone while she was baking, but she felt obligated to because she thinks Pappy loves her oatmeal snickerdoodles. Pappy hates snickerdoodles and raisins, but he eats them because it keeps her occupied while he watches sports."

"I want to meet them! They sound so cool!"

"They're not...especially when Granny insists that I rub sunscreen on her." I shivered at the horrific memory of rubbing her smelly sunscreen over her wrinkly skin. "She thinks that if she wears a bikini, she'll make Pappy frisky."

"That's...disturbing."

"Very," I agreed. "Granny's open about her barely non-existent sex life."

"Why are you telling me this?!"

"You asked how my summer was," I defended.

"I asked you about cute guys at the beach. Not about how creepy, yet awesome, your grandparents are."