Chapter 9: Anyone Can Have Lady Skills

Dedicated to LoveMeSomeGubble, my baby cousin (she's 16, omg), for her pun in this chapter and because she found my flash drive. Banner of Simon Nessman as Beckett Cartwright. 

---

Chapter 9: Anyone Can Have Lady Skills

"You're such a liar!"

"Yeah, I know," he chuckled. "But you're reaction was priceless. It was like 'Ohmygod, my crush loves me!'"

That was a cruel joke, Tyler Bradshaw. I'll get you back for that. "I do not have a crush on Luke."

"Judging from your facial expression, you do."

"I-I was just taken off guard, that's all."

"You're a bad liar, Summers."

I scoffed. "I could lie if I really wanted to."

"Okay, tell me that you hate me."

"What?"

"Tell me that you hate me," he repeated simply. "And then I'll believe you."

I said it in this really annoying nagging tone. "I hate you." The smile that crept onto my lips was unmistakable. "Okay, maybe I'm not a good liar, but you're still a jerk."

"Never said I wasn't."

"So what about you?"

"What about me?"

"You're not going to try any moves on me? Say any lame, cheesy pickup lines?"

"Nope, you'll fall for me eventually."

"Conceited?"

"Not at all-just honest."

***

It was an hour before Alec's game started, and I was at the batting cages. I almost wasn't allowed in, but Barker told them that I was with him. I figured that if I could hit the ball more often and actually practiced a little that it would earn points in Alec's book. It could never hurt to try, right?

"No, move your hand down a little bit," Barker instructed.

I did as he told me to. "Like this?"

"Perfect. Now just wait...and NOW!"

I swung with all my might and...missed. I let out a growl of frustration and slammed my head against the rubbery fence. "Why do I always miss!?"

I felt Barker's hand rest gently on my shoulder. "It's okay, you're just a beginner. Besides, you already got the guy, right?"

"Right," I mumbled.

"See? You must've did something right!" Barker said in high spirits.

Ha, yeah, like keep it in my pants. "I guess so. Are you going to his game?"

"Can't, I've got a date with my girl."

"You have a girlfriend?"

"Doubting my lady skills, Charlotte?"

I laughed. "Of course not, Mr. Charmer."

"Good, well I should probably get going. Nicole doesn't like it when I'm late. See you around?"