Chapter 1: My Apple is Green, but Their Envy is Greener

RE-READERS: First off, I'd like to thank you for reading again (as if it wasn't painful the first time, haha). Second, please please please do not post any spoilers. I didn't think there was a need to include a message like this, but apparently there is. Be considerate to other readers and think about your first time reading it. If I see any comments, they will be deleted and you will be blocked.

Everyone: How did you find my book? (through tags, recommendations, etc.) 

---

Chapter 1: My Apple is Green, but Their Envy is Greener

I dropped my lunch tray down onto the table and plopped down next to Lucas, my best friend. He was chatting animatedly with the group, a wide grin spread across his face, complete with two little dimples. All the girls rolled their eyes while the guys patted his back and congratulated him.

"What's up, Luke?" I asked curiously.

"I took Laurel's virginity," he gloated.

My eyes widened. "You what? When?"

Great. I was now the last virgin at Addison High School, freshmen included.

"Yup. Now I'm tied with the Top Four," he stated proudly.

The boys in our grade played a game. The object was to sleep with as many virgins as you could by the end of the year and whoever slept with the most won the title of the Virginator and respect from the rest of the class. The Top Four had been ahead since freshmen year, with Luke following close behind them. It was really immature, but the rest of our class seemed to enjoy cheering on their favorite competitor.

The Top Four were from completely different social groups, but they shared two things: the number of virgins they corrupted and the fact that they were all undeniably attractive. The Top Four consisted of Tyler Bradshaw, the bad boy; Alec Jennings, the athlete; Beckett Cartwright, the genius; and Ian Jameson, the rich guy. Lucas was classified as "the boy next door."

Sure, several girls have tried to avoid them, but they all fell under their charm. I was never really a target. I made sure to fly under their radar, and it worked. They probably all assumed that Luke took mine or something like that. And as long as they didn't come after me, I was okay with that.

Laurel had the five guys chasing her, constantly flirting with her for two weeks. Poor girl didn't even get enough sleep and came to school with giant bags under her eyes. She must've gotten tired of it and gave in to Luke. Either that or she was drunk.

There were others who craved the attention of the guys and I think you know the kind of girls I'm talking about. Yes, we had those stereotypical evil cheerleaders in their too tiny uniforms and fake blonde hair. You want to know the pathetic excuse they used to get to them? They pretended they were virgins. Please, as if the guys would fall for that.

"So that means I'm the only one left?" I whispered.

"Yup, you're the tiebreaker, Charlie! Don't you feel special? You get to choose who wins! It's all on your shoulders now. No pressure."

No, I don't feel special. I feel far from it. I don't want to be the tiebreaker or choose who the ultimate champion of this childish game was. And when someone says "no pressure," most times it added pressure. And right now, I was definitely feeling the pressure. Everyone was relying on me to sleep with one of them so they could have a champion. I contemplated sleeping with someone who weren't the main competitors, just to spite them. But I wasn't. I was saving myself for someone special. I didn't have to be married or anything, just in a long term relationship with someone I really loved.