Chapter 28: On the Stroke of Twelve

Tinkerbell was wriggling wildly in my arms. She was attempting to find an escape route out into the snow. I strengthened my grip on her. I heard the snow crunch below my feet as I made my way over to the Chandler house. The wind was especially chilly today. Tinkerbell nuzzled further into my arm, using me as a shield against the blustering breeze. The body heat emitting from her provided me with a bit of warmth.

Tinkerbell was a sweetheart and Luke had better love her right. I almost didn’t want to give her up. She was a cuddly furball who refused to sleep in her makeshift bed in the living room. Tinkerbell somehow ended up in my bed, snoring the night away in my ear. She would crawl under the covers and flop her body onto mine. When I woke up the first night, I was afraid I had crushed her. I was relieved when her eyes opened and she licked my face. Her morning doggy breath reeked. I pushed her away and told her to go drink some water. She happily wagged her tail, did a potty dance, and waited for me to take her out. I did so immediately.

Knocking on the door was no easy task while holding an energetic pug with one arm, a weak one I might add. I heard the clatter of chains being undone before the door opened. “Good morning, Charlotte,” Mr. Chandler greeted. “You’re up awfully early.”

“It’s ten o’clock.”

“Whoops. Sorry. I guess Luke just sleeps in and I think that’s the teenage norm.”

“It is the teenage norm,” I said.

“Ah, I get it. You’re just not normal.”

I nodded. “That’s exactly it, Mr. Chandler.”

He stepped aside to make room for me. I thanked him graciously. “So that’s our new dog, huh?” he asked, nodding towards Tinkerbell.

“Her name’s Tinkerbell,” I whispered in case Luke was awake and within hearing distance. I wanted to keep her a surprise for as Iong as I could. “She’s a cutie.”

“I can see that. I like the bow.”

I added a red bow to her collar for appearance purposes. There almost always was a bow on the said animal when they were being gifted. It only seemed right to follow in Hollywood’s footsteps. Besides, she looked adorable in it.

“Is Luke still sleeping?”

“Most likely. Either that or he’s containing himself in there so he doesn’t have to do chores.” Both possibilities were very Luke-like.

“I’ll go check. Either way, he’ll be awake within ten minutes.”

Mr. Chandler laughed. “All right then. Tell him to take out the trash for me, will you?”

"Will do."

Once outside his door, I cracked it open just wide enough so Tinkerbell could walk through and attack his face with wet kisses. I pressed my ear against the door, not that I needed to to hear him scream.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

“What the--”

I pushed the door open, a huge grin spreading across the lower hemisphere of my face.

He pointed his finger at me accusingly. “You.”

I did a one-shoulder shrug, as if to say I was guilty. “Me!”

He tried to retain his ornery mood. “You brought this demon to wake me.”

“Merry Christmas, Luke!”