Chapter 13: Luke's Fan Club: Unparty of One

Banner of Lucas Till as Lucas Chandler. I'm aware that homecoming is football season, but let's pretend it's baseball season, okay?

---

Chapter 13: Luke's Fan Club: Unparty of One

"I still can't believe Alec Jennings asked you to go to homecoming with him," Emma sighed, swirling the tiny brush of the nail polish bottle around.

We were lying on Emma's bed, gossiping and she was painting our nails a pretty robin egg shell color. It was our spring and summer color, but I loved it so much that I convinced her to use that instead of beige or burgundy, something more fall and wintry. Besides, it matched her very soft comforter. I thought about stealing it, but she would know it was me. I kind of had an obsession with it.

"Is it really that hard to believe?"

"Stop fidgeting. You're going to have uneven coats," she scolded, shaking her head in disapproval. "Um...yes! If I told you that you were going to go to homecoming with Alec Jennings last year, you would've laughed in my face."

She wasn't lying; I probably would've done that. We were from two completely different social groups. He was popular, and I was kind of neutral and unseen. "But that was last year. And now I actually have a date that isn't on the chess team."

I had nothing against the chess team; they just weren't my first candidates for going to a school dance with, a formal event. Okay, semiformal, but still. Nerds didn't exactly scream fun, not literally, of course. I'm sure they did scream 'fun' when they were singing Spongebob songs or something.

"There was nothing wrong with Greg."

"He thought taking a pawn with another pawn was the most hilarious thing ever."

"You dated Beckett."

I was about to tell her that Beckett was gay, but didn't know if he actually wanted anyone else to know. If he wanted to tell her, then he'd tell her. I wasn't even sure if he was going to ask her. Even if he did, I wouldn't know if Emma would agree or not.

"That's different."

"How so?" she challenged, narrowing her eyes.

"Well for one, he's hot." It felt so weird saying that about a gay guy!

"Conceited," she waived off. "What about personality?"

"Was about as dry as a piece of old toast left on in the middle of the Sahara desert. So basically, he doesn't have a personality."

"That's rude."

"Why do you even care? Does someone like Greg?"

"No, I'm just saying it's not nice to pick on people."

"You brought it up!"

She sighed and finished putting the topcoat on. "I want ice cream. Do you want ice cream?"

"Sure, I'm always up for that!"

Emma smiled knowingly and blew on her fingertips. "We should wait for our nails to dry."

I groaned and glared at her. "You couldn't suggest that after they were dry?"

She shrugged and smiled innocently. "Oops, my bad."

"I hate you. I want ice cream."

"So call up one of your boyfriends and ask them to bring us some. From Italy."

"Italy?"

"You know, like gelato."

"You want me to call Ian, don't you?"