Ramadan & Chand Raat

© All character copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad.

*

Requested by: thegirlwithyou2 

Written by: StarsAndMoon1447

*

Jasmina

The last few days of Ramadan are always busy and hectic. Obviously, the most important ibadat ki raatain are in the last ten days of the Holy Month, and the preparation for Eid made everything even more hectic.

*The last ten days of Ramadan are considered the most holiest. The Quran was descended in one of those nights, therefore there is more rewarding to worship in these nights.

We had decided to celebrate Eid in Lahore, with our loved ones. The excitement could be felt in the air as the Ali and Sheikh families prepared for the Muslim religious festival.

My heart was longing to be at my parents' house, celebrating Eid with my parents, big brothers and Bhabis. 

When I was younger, I remembered how Ammi used to take me shopping for Eid clothes, and I used to get so excited. We'd ended up buying clothes, jewellery and shoes for me, and even outfits for Arhaan Bhai and Ahad Bhai, as they never went for shopping with us. Whenever they moaned that they didn't like something, Ammi used to simply tell them to go shopping themselves next time to get whatever was 'up to their standards'.

On Eid day, I used to get up bright and early. Before I even opened my eyes, I could smell the mehendi on my henna-covered hands, and it had instantly made me smile.

Before my father and brothers had even left for the mosque for Eid prayers, along with Ali Uncle and Fawad, I used to be ready in my outfit and jewellery, and then Ammi used to do my hair.

When everyone returned, we all had 'sawaiyaan', and then Ahad Bhai and I started to demand 'Eidi', the money we receive on Eid.

Sometimes, we'd relatives over and at other times we'd had at least one meal with the Ali family, either at our house or theirs.

'Good times.' I thought now as I started to make iftari preparations. It was so tempting to taste the dahi baday, but I had to keep reminding myself that I was fasting. 

"Mama!" Two overexcited girls ran into the kitchen, calling out my name.

"We're hungry!" Six-years-old Hania said, pouting.

Meanwhile, four-years-old Iman immediately raced for the fridge and opened it.

"Iman, don't!" I immediately told her off. "How many times have I told you not to open the fridge? Whatever you need, I'll give you, okay?"

The paternal grandmother of Hania and Iman was going out of her way to celebrate Eid with her entire family present: her husband, her kids, kids-in-law and grandchildren. She had bought the dresses, jewellery, and shoes, which Fariha, my Nand, had helped select. Usually, I enjoyed buying clothes for my daughters myself, but my mother-in-law was so excited that I couldn't refuse- and I didn't mind it either.

Fariha adored her nieces as well, and because we lived so far away, every time we all saw each other, she pampered the girls so much that my husband and I had to practically beg her to stop.

On the other hand, my side of the family was just as bad. Ahad Bhai and Arhaan Bhai were doting Mamus who would do absolutely anything that their bhanjiyan said. Their wives were equally pampering.