The Ali Family

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

*

In this version:

Fawad: 23

Fariha: 19 

*

Fatima

I did not like my son-in-law at all. I frowned at his utterly uneducated behaviour as he reached into the bowl of salad and pulled out a cucumber with his bare fingers as well sat for dinner. The next thing I knew, he popped it into his mouth and was chewing it with his mouth opened.

It was almost unbelievable that just last week Ali and I had sent off our beloved daughter Fariha with this despicable man. Umair.

I looked at my husband, who silently ate his dinner, and then my son, who did not seem very impressed with his new behnoyi either.

"So, Aunty." Umair began, placing both his hands on the table. "We were expecting the furniture two days ago, and we were surprised when it never arrived." 

"What furniture?" Fawad looked at me almost accusingly.

"The adults discussed this, Fawad." Umair looked at him. "We were to be given a brand new set of furniture for our room, as well as for other rooms in our home."

"There has been a delay..." I began to reply.

"Wait, what are you talking about?" Fawad asked his brother-in-law. "Your parents refused dowry during the initial rishta discussions." 

Umair scratched his goatee. "Everyone refuses as a formality, Bhai. But as the bride's family, it's your duty to ensure that your daughter or sister doesn't go to her new home empty handed." He looked at Fariha. "Can you please ask them? They don't want to give me a straight answer." 

My daughter looked at me pleadingly.

I looked at Ali, helplessly, before turning back to Umair. "It has been delayed, but it should reach you in a day or two." 

"Look, this all is for your daughter's sake, for her comfort." Umair smirked, now that he knew that he and his family would be handed over luxurious gifts for their home. 

"If you didn't have the ability to give her a life of comfort on your own basis, you should not have married her." Fawad snapped at him. "But, why would you avoid the opportunity to marry a wealthy girl with a bright future as a doctor?" 

"Bhai, please!" Fariha's voice rose.

"This conversation needs to end right now." Ali ordered, his voice booming in the room. "Anyone who wishes to continue should leave the room. I would not allow anyone to disrespect food by starting arguments at the dinner table!" He glared at our fuming son. "Not another word from you, Fawad."