CHAPTER 5

Analise's POV

Red.

Red was the only thing I could see. On the walls, on the bed, on the floor, on the ceiling, the table, the chairs, the broken windows. Everywhere! It painted every inch of every surface. Bile rose up my throat looking at the lifeless, dismembered bodies on the floor, all in a pool of blood. Looking around the room, my eyes fell on a small figure huddled in a corner.

She had her knees pulled in with her arms around them as she hugged them closer to her. Her face was buried in her arms, shielding her from her gruesome surrounding. Her messy hair cascaded down as she shook slightly. I gasped as she lifted her face, looking at her surrounding.

The girl was me. Years younger with a round face, gentle features, cheeks tainted with blood and red, puffy, stained eyes. I could not believe my eyes. 'It is impossible' I chanted in my head, eyes fixed on her.

Slowly, one by one, the dead bodies moved. At first, one lifted his head, then another moved his hand and another his feet. Together, they all got on their feet and the sounds of their bones cracking reached my ears along with their snarls. 'No' I whimpered, my voice shaky. In a matter of seconds, they were all up forming a barrier between me and my younger self.

I moved around, getting a better view. All of them moved simultaneously toward the same point- younger me. Panic settled in as I watched. She stayed rooted to her space, staring at bodies moving in her direction. I screamed for her to get up, to get out, to run, to shout for help, to defend herself but it all fell on deaf ears.

Not knowing what to do, I threw myself between her and the monsters walking toward her. I tried pushing them away with my magic but it did not work. My magic was not working. Looking around frantically, I tried to grab a vase but my hands passed right through it. I was helpless. I could not do anything.

Before I knew it, they were in front of me and on instinct I shielded myself with my hands. They walked right through me. I was invisible to them. They could not hurt me and I could do nothing to protect the younger me. Turning around, a gasp left my mouth as I saw one lift his sword  before bringing it down on her. The last thing I remember is screaming before everything turned black and I fell in an endless abyss.

I jolted awake screaming. My breathing came out ragged as my body shook slightly from the horror. My hair stuck to my forehead due to the sweat and my hands fisted the blanket tightly. Scrambling on the bed, I turned on the table lamp. Looking at the clock, it was still 5 a.m. A sob escaped my mouth as I hugged my knees close to me. 'It was just a nightmare' I reassured myself. My heart still pounded in my chest as I got my breathing back to normal though the tears kept falling. At times like this, I am thankful for not having a roommate. I stayed in the same position for the next few few minutes before my breathing was stable again.

Not later, it was time to get ready for school. Throwing the covers off me, I got out of bed and got ready for yet another day at school. Once ready, I grabbed my phone, not bothering to take my bag since we were free this week, and went to meet up with Evelyne at the school cafeteria for breakfast.

"So, did you decide yet?" Evelyne asked as I took a bite of my food. I just shook my head, not having the strength to talk. She sighed but did not push me any further. The rest of breakfast went by quickly as we engaged in small, light talks, ignoring the elephant in the room. "You want to accompany me to the mall to search for a dress?" Evelyne suggested as we exited the cafeteria.

"I-" My sentence was cut off by the headmaster's voice resonating in the entire school. "Analise Royal is needed at the office please." I felt several pairs of eyes settle on me while I just frowned in confusion.