CHAPTER 31

Analise's POV

My entire body tensed as I heard light footsteps coming from the forest as they approached the cave. Judging by the sound I could tell that there was only one person. The only person who did know about this place was my grandmother, but the footsteps were not hers and neither was the scent.

I got on my feet as it got closer. I did not what I expected but Alexander was definitely not one of them. Alexander entered the cave from the entrance that led to the forest dressed in basic sweatpants and shirt that exposed his inked arms.

"What are you doing here?" I asked before adding, "And don't you dare say 'I could ask you the same thing'" I made quote signs in the air, quoting his words from the first night we met.

"I need to talk to you about somethings." He said. I guess the time to clear certain things among us has arrived.

"About?"

"Can we sit and talk?" His voice sounded different from usual and I could not quiet decipher what but I would soon figure it out.

I nodded and turned to go sit near the edge of the pool, cross-legged. "How do you know about this place and that I was here?" I asked as he sat next to me, keeping some distance between us.

"Your grandmother told me." Of course, she did. "Does she know that we are mates?"

"Apparently yes." I sighed. "How? I have no clue."

"This place is beautiful. Do you come here often?" He questioned as he took in the cave.

"Hmm." He looked uncomfortable as he averted my gaze and his posture was clearly stiff. "It help with the stress." My voice came out soft as I answered his questions. I did not know what he wanted to tell me but judging by his behaviour I could it was not something mundane.

I just hope whatever he would say would mend our relationship instead of ruining it. These past days, whether we agree or not, we did get closer to each and I wanted more days like in my life. Just me and him. I wanted the same feeling of home again.

"What do you want to talk about?" I broke the silence that had fallen upon us and the awkwardness had started to fill the air. "Look, if you are not comfortable talking about it, don't force yourself."

"I want to get it over with." He said, still looking at the water. "I don't know what you will think of me but please listen to entire thing before reaching a conclusion"

"Okay."

He took in a deep breath as he started. "Not many people know about this but my mother and father were not of the same kind. My mother was an angel while my father was a demon. They met each other by accident and my mother fell in love with him but it was not the same for my father." He sighed and his voice sounded a little strained. "At that time, the mate bonds had lost their importance. My father, he saw my mother just as someone who would give him a heir."

"My father convinced my mother to get together with him on the sole condition that nobody should know about them. Being in love, my mother trusted him blindly." He lot out a bitter chuckle. "At first, he was the best mate one could ask for. He was caring, loyal, loving and was by my mother's side every second of the day. It was all an act. My mother got pregnant with me and my father finally showed his true colours. He distanced himself from my mother, ignored her and never spend time with her. It was all while my mother was pregnant. The time where she needed his support the most. Since nobody knew of their relationship, she could not get help and she was scared if she told others, my father would leave her." His fists clenched at his side along with jaws, a fire burning in his eyes as he looked in the water. Not thinking, I placed my hand on his clenched one and gave him a reassuring squeeze. He unclenched his fist and interlocked our fingers together and finally looked at me, a small smile on his face yet I could see the pain along with the fire in his eyes.