CHAPTER 39

Analise's POV

"Grandmother!" I nearly exclaimed as I pulled away from Alexander's embrace, my face heating up slightly. "Do you need anything?"

"No." She beamed. "Though I need to tell you something."

"Let me guess." I said, pretending to be in deep thoughts. "Is it about the stake that I have yet to find?"

"Bull's-eye!" Her cheery tone failed to reassure me of whatever plan these two had planned.

"I am building up with anticipation here." I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"Oh I know. My plans are ingenious." My grandmother was always calm and collected, always smiling. This grandmother who seemed to be on a sugar rush was not my grandmother.

I let out a groan and hear Alexander let out a chuckle as he stood on my side. I sent him a glare and he stopped yet the amusement in his eyes were evident.

"You know what?" I placed a hand on my hips as my grandmother took a seat on the edge of my bead. "You two need to tell me what you have planned. Not to mention you did not even consult me on the matter."

"Oh dear, I did not plan anything." Grandmother said. "It was his idea." She pointed towards Alexander who gave me one of his rare sheepish grins and I held back a groan from escaping at the sight. I was still not used to his smiles. "I just made it easier for him to make sure it is a success."

"So, what is the big plan then mastermind?" I directed my question to Alexander but my grandmother did the honours and replied me. "You two are going on a vacation!" I felt my jaw drop to the floor at the plan that does not seem to fit with the current scheme of things.

I breathed out a shaky laugh. "You are joking right?" My laughter came to an abrupt end as I looked at the two serious faces looking at me.

"It is just one night Analise." Grandmother elaborated.

"Why?" I asked the first question that popped in my mind. "Why are you sending us on a one night trip?" I asked her before turning to Alexander. "And why did you even come up with this idea?"

"Vacation." Grandmother corrected me. "It is a vacation."

"Okay." I rolled my eyes. "But why?"

"You two have been really busy with things around here. You two need some time together and what better place than somewhere far away without any royal asshole getting in your way?" Alexander let out a laugh as I nearly face palmed myself.

'You definitely got your habit of insulting high ranked people from her.' Crescent commented.

"What about the vampires? What if they decide to attack us? Not to mention that we will be needed in that meeting."

"The meeting, if it takes place, will be in a week or so. We will be back by then." Alexander provided the details. "And, the vampires are thirsty for power but they would not jeopardise there chance of getting in the palace by attacking earlier."

"But-"

"No ifs and buts Analise." Grandmother said in a voice that left no place for arguments, her cheery tone gone as if it was never there. "You two are going on that vacation and nobody is going to stop you or say anything because you are going to find that damn stake."

I am bewildered at her actions as my eyes dart between Alexander and his new partner as all bad scenarios played in my mind. "Fine." I gave in.

Grandmother clapped her hands together, her cheery mood back in place in the blink of an eye that had me doubting her authoritative tone was ever there. No wonder she was feared when she ruled because not only was she cunning but also manipulative though I came to admire the latter.