Chapter 9

Knock! Knock!

Conner tapped on Emma's desk. "Hey, are you okay?"

Emma gasped in surprise. She raised her head and smiled wryly. "Yeah, Connor." She forced her smile to look relaxed. "What can I do for you?"

Connor nodded doubtfully. "Are you sure?" Emma nodded firmly. Connor looked at Emma looking for something wrong, but Emma smiled reassuringly that she was all right. "Ok. Umm .. please check the progress of Dorian Inc's warehouse construction project in City D. It should now have reached its final stage."

"Yes, Connor."

"Have you checked Weigers' proposal?"

"Yes. The company is new. It is the son of Stephen Jonas' company, SJr. They are in sports and they want to build a sports center for them. I'll leave a detailed report on S&Jr to you this evening."

"Alright. You can leave it to me tomorrow morning. I have to go home early."

Emma stunned. "Woow .."

Connor chuckled. "What?"

"You're still Connor Miller, right?" Emma was shocked.

Connor tapped on Emma's table again. "Finish your work then come home. No overtime today." Seeing Emma still gawking in surprise, Connor sighed. "Are you sure you're okay, Em? I've seen from this morning you look absentminded and unfocused."

"Are you worried about me?" Emma felt she was in another world. Connor never asked about her situation. He never cared whether Emma's mood was good or bad, whether she was healthy or sick, as long as Emma's work was done and went according to Connor's wishes, that was the most important thing for Connor.

"Of course. You're my best friend, Em. And you're my most reliable secretary. I don't know what will happen to Miller inc without you." Connor smiled gratefully.

"Connor, do I need to sprinkle salt on you?" Emma whispered quite loudly. She took a step back from Connor.

Connor snorted. "Hey, don't get too dramatized." Connor fell silent.  He frowned and asked, "By the way, why are you sprinkling salt?"

Emma shrugged, " Casting out evil spirits."

Connor snorted in annoyance. He glared at Emma. Emma grinned mischievously. Then Emma chuckled followed by a smiling Connor.

"You changed." Connor pointed at Emma's face.

"You too." she added, "Thanks to Adeline. She made you human."

"Hey!" shouted Connor. Emma laughed.

Connor breathed a sigh of relief. "Em, if you have a problem, don't hesitate to tell me. I will help you as best I can."

"Thanks Connor."

"Immediately solve your problem. The sooner the better. If you delay it too much and think too much, it will only burden you. In the end it will only mess things up." said Connor seriously.

"Alright. Thanks Connor." Emma smiled and nodded.

Connor smiled and turned toward the door. "I'll go home first." Connor waved his hand.

Emma took a deep breath. After Connor was out of sight, Emma took her cellphone. She took Ashton's business card from her bag. Ever since returning from her meeting with Noah Woods, Emma has been confused about what to do next. Dealing with Ashton Kings is no small matter. Emma was afraid that terrible things would happen to her, to Connor, or to Adeline. She knew that the higher a person was, the greater his power. He could do whatever he wants to do. Emma imagined herself to be a toy while Ashton sat on his throne like a king, and she didn't want to be a toy. What frustrated Emma was that she didn't know what the Ashton Kings were thinking. Emma closed her eyes tight. Connor was right. Fearing something that may not be true and will not necessarily happen will not solve the problem. She had better do something she could do now and prayed that all would end well. She repeatedly breathed deeply.