Chapter 16

Kayden and Ashton turned to Emma. Emma grimaced at the two of them.

"Sorry, I woke you up." Ashton helped Emma sit up.

"Kayden's sorry too." Kayden sat beside Emma with his head down.

"Gosh.. you guys are so cute." Emma chuckled. She hugged Kayden tightly. "After my shower, I'll eat with you two.  Kayden will wait patiently for me in the dining room, won't he?" asked Emma.

"yes." Kayden nodded. He crawled to the edge of the bed then got off with Ashton's help.

"You too. accompany Kayden in the dining room. Don't you want to be accompanied by your only son?" Emma mocked Ashton. She stifled a laugh.

"No. I'll accompany you to shower." Ashton smiled mischievously.

Emma's face reddened with embarrassment. "What are you talking about?"

"You know what I mean. I want to clean myself too." Ashton raised his eyebrows teasingly at Emma.

"Papa! Come on!" Kayden shouted from the door.

Ashton rolled his eyes. "When do I have time alone with my wife?" he muttered.

Emma chuckled. "Go. I won't be long."

"I'm coming .." Ashton shouted as he walked towards the door.

***

Ashton came out of the bathroom wiping his wet hair with a towel. He saw Emma sleeping beside Kayden. She looked lost in thought with a blank stare. Her hand patted Kayden's stomach gently and rhythmically. Ashton remembered how Emma was in front of the building this afternoon. She looked haggard. Ashton slung his towel over the chair and walked over to Kayden. He opened kayden's blanket, lifted his tiny body and shifted him to the edge of the bed. After that, he placed some pillows on Kayden's side.

Sensing someone staring at him, Ashton glanced at Emma. Emma had snapped out of her thoughts and looked at Ashton in confusion.

"What?" Ashton raised an eyebrow.

" What are you doing?" Emma asked confusedly.

Ashton sighed. He walked around and lifted Emma's blanket lightly. He laid beside Emma's back and hugged her.

"I think you need this more." Ashton hugged Emma tightly.

As Emma leaned back, she felt Ashton's body heat. Her cheeks were red and her breath hitched. When Ashton hugged her tightly, she could feel someone else's presence there. Her heart was beating fast and she was nervous. However, on the other side, she could feel something else there. She felt safe and warm. Emma inhaled slowly and her body began to relax even though her chest continued to pound.

Feeling Emma's body change from being stiff to relaxing, Ashton smiled a little. Both of them shifted their bodies to be more comfortable.

"Did something happen at the office?" Ashton asked, fiddling with the ends of Emma's hair that hung over her shoulders.

"Nothing. Just a few minor problems." Emma answered curtly.

" Are you sure?"

"Yeah. It's nothing."

"Emm, you can talk to me. I won't judge." Ashton sighed. Emma was silent.

"Have you ever felt unappreciated?"

"Continue." Ashton motioned for Emma to speak her mind.

"You know that I'm an orphan. I had to find my own tuition fees. I had to work part time for my living expenses. I know, I'm not a smart person. When I went to college while working part time, sometimes I was tired of studying but I kept trying. I was able to graduate from a university which is not in the top three in the country, but it's my success despite the limited time and funds I had. I want my life to be better. I reached the position of chief secretary at miller inc within three years. It was not easy for me. Is it that I am not trying?"