Chapter 2

Emma screamed inside her head. She was annoyed. Two weeks after she started coming back to work, his beloved boss, note the sarcasm, had made her work like a horse. A handsome boss who was the target of all women infatuation did not mean the best boss for Emma. Connor was a shitty boss. Emma could not understand, how could original Emma like Connor. Connor looked handsome and most handsome when he was seriously working, but fake Emma just didn't understand. Connor liked to make his own way. One task had not been completed, another task had been given to her. Emma must be able to multitask. The worst was, Connor's mouth had no law. He spoke bluntly. Even if it was the truth, Connor didn't bother to soften the words.

Emma realized that Connor was stubborn and bipolar. He was very strict. What he wanted, he would try until he got it. The most upsetting, Connor always asked Emma to help him solve the problem with Adeline. Every time they fought, Emma had to be able to mediate. She felt like babysitting Connor and Adeline.

"Connor, we need to talk." Adeline entered Connor's office by force. She stood in front of Connor's desk and leaned forward. Her hands were placed on the edge of the table to support her body. She looked intimidating Connor.

"What do you want to talk about?" Connor sat back in his chair. He looked at Adeline closely.

Emma closed her journal and backed away slowly. "Stay here, Em."

"I want to talk to you alone." Adeline looked upset. She placed both of her hands on her waist. Emma stood awkwardly. She walked back to the door.

"I said stay here, Em." Connor raised his voice. Emma turned to face Connor and gritted her molars.

'Why?? Why did both of you need a witness for this war?' Emma cried silently.

  "What you want to talk about, just talk. Emma won't go anywhere."  connor decisively said.

"Fine." Adeline gave up. "Why did you give a luxury car to my younger brother?"

Connor frowned. "What's wrong with that?"

"Why did you transfer one billion funds to my father's diner account? Besides, why did you renovate the diner and change our supplier?" Adeline glared at Connor. Feeling irritated hearing her many why’s, Connor glared back at her.

Adeline's father owned a diner and catering business that was quite well known in the city. Adeline's mother had cancer. After her mother stayed in the hospital for treatment, the cost involved was enormous. Funds that were supposed to be for diner renovations were used for medical expenses. Adeline's father had to postpone the renovation of the diner and he even had to lay off some of his employees. His business was almost bankrupt. That's when Connor came and offered his help.

Emma remembered, in the plot of the novel, Connor who had just heard his grandmother's will, was annoyed and drove his car without direction. Connor felt hungry then stopped at a diner nearby. The diner looks quiet and unkempt. The diner signboard, Davis Diner, was about to fall off. There was peeling wall paint in some places visible . But when Connor entered the diner, it was clean and comfortable inside. Connor smiled slightly. He sat at one of the tables. Shortly thereafter, the waitress comes and records Connor's order. Of course, the waitress was Adeline who was helping in the restaurant. After the order arrived, Connor ate the food he ordered. The food was delicious and the price was affordable. The location of the restaurant was also strategic. Connor was surprised why this place was empty of customers. When paying at the cashier, Connor asked the cashier why this restaurant was deserted. Nonchalantly, the cashier explained that the restaurant wanted to close due to lack of funds. Connor nodded his head and left after paying. When he returned to his penthouse, he called Emma and asked her to find out about the condition of the Davis Diner and its owner. That's when Emma found out about Adeline and her family.

The next day, after Connor got information from Emma, ​​he decided to meet the owner of Davis Diner. Adeline's father was in the hospital that time to accompany Adeline's mother so it was Adeline who met Connor. Connor intended to buy Davis Diner but Adeline refused, instead Adeline asked Connor to invest in her diner. When they discussed business, as if getting enlightened, Connor added a condition to save the Davis Dinner that was to marry him. Of course Adeline refused firmly because she herself already had a boyfriend , Blake Hutton, and she felt like she sold herself for money. Connor just shrugged and smiled.

In the evening, Connor returned to Davis Diner to negotiate further when he saw Adeline being mistreated by Blake Hutton. Connor heard that Blake was threatening Adeline if not given money. Connor helped Adeline who was hit by Blake. He threatened Blake if he didn't leave the place, he would call the police. Blake, who was drunk, was angry especially after hearing Connor said that Adeline was his future wife. Blake tried to hit Connor but Connor had already beat Blake first. Before Blake left, Adeline asked him to break up. Blake left while cursing Connor. Connor then urged Adeline to accept his proposal. Adeline finally agreed to marry Connor. Both of them negotiated their marriage contract.

"Em! Emma!" Connor called out to Emma who was in daze.

"Yes. Yes, sir." Emma stuttered at Connor.

"Bring me our marriage contract." Connor signaled Emma to take it in the safe. Emma turned around and immediately took the agreement file.

"It's clearly written in the contract what you have to do and what I have to do. Stop making trouble. And just accept what I have given you." Connor opened the contract file after Emma put it on the table in annoyance.

"I never asked you to buy a luxury car for my brother."

"Just a present."

"We don't need it. Take it back."

"No. If you don't want to, then I'll throw the car away. This problem is over. What else?"

"Fine. Why are you renovating the diner?"

"Investment. Anything else?" Connor raised an eyebrow. He looked upset. Emma understood Connor because within an hour they had to make a presentation at Kings Corp. Connor felt pressured because Kings Corp was a giant company that dominated America and their president was very cold and ruthless.

"I already said that the renovation is our responsibility. It was written in the agreement that you only gave money for my mother's treatment and funding my diner but did not interfere with my diner business." Adeline pointed to a clause in the agreement. Emma nodded her head in agreement.

"I invested in your diner and I don't want to lose money. The suppliers who work with you were not competent." Connor said angrily.

"It's not a matter of competence or not. They have been working with us for a long time. And they are like family to us," Adeline interrupted Connor.

"There's no family in business. And it's because of your feelings that Davis Diner is bankrupt." Connor said cruelly. Adeline gaped, not knowing what to say. "If it's clear, you'd better go back to the Diner. I still have something to do."

" You are cruel." Adeline said. Her eyes filled with unshed tears.

Connor shrugged. "Emma, ​​take Adeline out."

Emma nodded her head and signaled Adeline to leave the room. Adeline smiled sadly and left the room.