Part 19: accidents happen

Thomas flips me over, so he was on top. He kisses my jawline, down my neck,

Abruptly he stops, moving my hair over gently, examining my neck.

"What?" I ask quietly,

"Nothing, I just, I feel bad doing this." Thomas stops himself, "I mean, we were friends once."

I knew exactly what he meant. Newt. My neck, the love marks, he only made them the night before, and now, I was in bed with his best friend. Or at least once best friend.

I'm the reason they're not as close anymore, they were only fighting because of me. I came between them.

"And with him in the room." He whispers, his eyes travel to the bunk above us. "Y/n I like you a lot but I don't know what to do, I used to be okay with him having you but now..."

"Now I've realized, We were together, before the maze, we were lovers."

He continues,

"So that night, I couldn't hold back, I just got angry, because I felt like he stole you from me."

"Y/n, I love you."

Why couldn't I remember this? I thought I had all of my memories, I remembered Teresa.

Wait.

What if... they weren't past memories, but,

The future.

Maybe she betrayed us then but I see it now,
It's going to happen again.

The bed above us creaks, I tense up momentarily.

Do you think he heard us?

I don't know, but I do know I need to apologize either way. Tomorrow, hopefully.

Yeah, we should rest before morning, we got to escape and convince the others.

I snuggle into his side once more for the night, letting sleep wash over me like a wave.

My eyes flutter open, the only light on was the bathroom light, I closed my eyes again, figuring everything was fine.

It wasn't.

*CRASH*

It came from the bathroom, the door closed. I hop up from the bed immediately and jump over Thomas's sleeping figure.

I run to the door, who is it?

I look up at the bunks, up and down searching for who would be in there.

Newt.

Shit. "NEWT!? Are you okay?!"

No answer, I listen closely, it sounds like he is,

Crying? "Newt! Open the door please!"

He doesn't answer again.

I don't know weather or not to wake the others,

All I can hear is his quiet crying, sniffles. Pain.

"Newt please, please let me in, I promise I won't be mad just open the door!"

Finally he gives in, unlocking the door.

When I walk in, the sight I could never imagine was right in front of me.

Newt on the floor, glass shattered, everywhere. His hands and his wrists covered in dark red blood.

"Oh Newt." I whisper sadly, trying to hold back my own tears. "I can get a doctor."

"NO!" He pulls me back, his blood smearing on my arm,

"Okay, okay." I think quickly, I take the clean wrap from my hand and unwrap it,

"Come here." I help him up slowly,

"This is gonna sting." I warn,

He puts his arms under the warm water,

"Klunk that hurts." He winces,

"Sorry." I apologize.

The glass stuck in his knuckles is more visible now,

"Sit here." I motion to the toilet, closing the lid.

He does as asked. I pull the glass shards out one by one, each time he winces. His eyes were bloodshot, he's been crying a lot longer than what I saw.

I take my wrap and put it on his wrists, both of them. Half and half, it was all I had. Best I could do.

"Newt."

"Y/n don't say anything, please, to anyone." He pleads. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have tried to make you jealous, it was stupid, I don't like Teresa, at all."

He looks up at me, with a sad puppy dog look.

"I still love you, and I heard what Tommy said, I'm not asking you to pick, I just want you to know."

"Why would you do this to yourself." A tear escapes my eyes, I wipe it away, trying my best to stay strong.

"I'm sorry."

"Newt I don't want an apology."

"Because I~ I don't know, I had to, I deserved it."

"No, listen to me Newt you do not deserve that." I whisper, grabbing his chin, forcing him to look at me,  "you've been clean for so long, you deserve better, You deserve the world, we are going to get out of here, we can't stay, It's WICKED." I reveal.

"What?"

"Yeah, it's Janson."

I couldn't just flat out tell him that I foreseen the future if we don't leave, so I made something up.

A white lie.

"We saw it, I figured it out, not hard really, in the morning we were gonna try to convince you all, through the vents we can leave, Aris showed us."

"Are you with me?" I ask,

He hesitates, letting out a sigh, "of course I am, anything for you love."

A sad smile spreads across my face, it feels so long since he called me that, even with all the fighting, I missed it.

"Good that!" I try to lighten the mood.

He lets out a small laugh.

His adorable smile shows again. Thank goodness. I missed that.

Authors note*
Comment more y'all! Don't be shy, The comments motivate me so so much <3 I'd also appreciate follows from anyone who enjoys this book! I'm working hard to put out as many chapters as possible this week before I start working again, Votes are also a big way to support my work! Thank you 💕