Part 28: Speak up

Thomas?

I try the telepathic thing again, no use. No answer,
Perhaps it wouldn't work this far away? But then my worries set in, what if he can't answer? What if he got hurt? Or captured?

Clearly Newt was watching me, noticing the worry spread across my face,

"Hey, you okay?" Newt speaks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh, oh yeah, sorry, I'm fine." I reply,

"He'll be okay."

I nod, "Thanks."

"For what?"

"Do you need an answer every time?"

"Right, sorry love."

"We've got at least another hour left." Jorge informs,

"Great." I roll my eyes.

So many thoughts race through my head,

What if he's hurt? Dead? Captured? What if he just decided to take off with her? Abandon us? No, he wouldn't. Why can't he answer? What if~

"Y/n, you're doing it again." Newt speaks,

"Huh?"

"You have that look on your face when you're worried, let's do something to take your mind off of it."

"What could we possibly do in a vehicle to take my mind off of~"

He presses his lips against mine. Kissing me gently,
I pull away rather quickly this time,

"I have to worry Newt." I ramble on, "Because what if~"

"What's the last thing he said to you?" He blurts out quickly in response.

"He told me to go." I sigh. "But maybe I made the wrong choice!"

"Stop doubting yourself!" He says rather loudly,

Fry looks back but doesn't speak in our conversation, Minho stays fast asleep. Teresa and Aris were in the back, I didn't care enough to look back to see if they were sleeping or not.

Newt continues, "Y/n you're the bravest person I've ever met, you ran into the maze! You always speak up! Never shy away. You're bloody perfect,
in every way."

I can't help but smile, despite my worries.

"Thank you."

"No problem love."

*Time skip*

"That's as far as we go." Jorge pulls over,

One by one we hop out, immediately we see lots and lots of unfamiliar faces, I haven't seen this many people in years.

We come upon a building with lots of people, Jorge tells us Brenda and Thomas may be in there.

I immediately volunteer to go inside,

"I have something that needs to be done, Teresa, Minho, Aris come with me."

That leaves me and Newt to go inside.

They leave and I grab Newt's hand, scared of getting lost and separated in these crowds.

We come upon a women, "Hello darling, how can I help?" She asks,

"We're looking for our friends and a man named Marcus." I reply.

A man joins our conversation, "You came to the right place then, Marcus should be in there." He points to the door, "What did your friends look like?"

"A boy and a girl, Brenda and Thomas."

"The girl, Short hair? The boy, a cute brunette?"
She confirmed.

"Yeah! So I'd appreciate if we could just~"

The women cuts me off, "Here, drink." She shoves a green liquid in my face, "It's the price of admission, then you'll find your friends inside."

Me and Newt give each other a look, I shrug.

"Fine." I take it and slowly sip until she pushes it up, nearly making me gag, I let out a short cough,
"ugh gross."

Newt takes a smaller sip. Finally we were let in,

"Have fun kids, but not too much fun!" They yell,

I grab ahold of Newt's hand again, the room was full of people, lights, music.

"I'm going to look for them." Newt calls out, speaking loudly so I could hear although everything seemed strained at the moment.

I had no strength to argue with him, he walked away.

Everything felt like it was spinning, then in the crowd I saw what I thought was Thomas,

I tried calling out to him but no response, either way the music was too loud, I tried to concentrate enough to send a telepathic message, no use.

I started seeing flashes of light, then images, horrible images, my friends as cranks.