The Nightmare (Belphegor)

"Finally!" You said, stretching your limbs.

You were finally done with the homework for today. It was 1AM, but okay, you were done.

You got a quick glass of water and got ready for bed. Hair done, teeth brushed, pajamas ready, so you went to bed. You turned on your side and closed your eyes, about to finally drift to sleep after this long day.

Then someone knocked in your door.

You turned back and got out of bed, sighing. Whoever decided to come by your room must have a good reason.

You opened the door a bit and peeked at the person.

"Belphie? What's wrong?"

Beplhie was standing in front of your door, hair messy, hugging his pillow. He looked distressed.

"I had a nightmare..." He said quietly.

"Oh dear, come here. It's okay now. Do you want to tell me more about it."

He nodded and you opened the door to let him in.
You went to get him something to drink and a little snack for if he wanted to.

Beel was once again in the kitchen, looking for food.

"Hey Beel."

He looked up.

"Oh hey."

"How do I help Belphie with nightmares?"

"Did he have one again?"

"Yes, he came to my room and I'm just getting him some water."

"Please just make him feel comfortable. That should be enough. Don't push him to talk or anything."

You nodded.
"Okay, thanks Beel."

He waved you goodbye and you went back to your room with the water and snack.

In your room Beplhie was waiting for you. He had his knees pulled up to his chest, hugging his pillow to his knees. You gave him the water, which he took gratefully, but he let the snack as it was.

"Can I- can I get a hug?" He asked.

"Of course." You pulled him into your chest. His head rested on your shoulder while you gave him headpats.

"Do you want to tell me about your nightmare?"

He was silent for a second. You felt him breathing in and out.

"Beel was there. You were there. We were having a picnic. Beel was eating all the food, as usual. I was laying on your lap, dozing off in the summer evening heat.
You were just having a can of soda, the one you always drink. It was very pretty there under the blossom tree. In the cool shade.
Then thunder came. Out of nowhere. You didn't mind, you like thunder, but I got scared and so got Beel. It wasn't normal thunder, this same thunder was at the war where we were cast out the Celestial Realm.
Beel went to protect us for whatever was coming. Then spears were coming out of nowhere, raining down on us. Beel protected me, but you...
You barely felt it, I think. It was just a lot of blood, so much that I didn't even know a human had that much of it.
The last thing you did was pull me into your arms. A last hug before you left.
I woke up crying. You know I don't cry fast. I never cry.
But this. It was like what happened to Lilith, but worse. A first time is awful, it broke me and it broke Beel, but a second time is something neither of us would be able to handle. Especially not if it's you who we have to lose."

You made Belphie look you in the eyes and wiped away a single tear. You couldn't feel it yourself, but you were pretty sure you were crying as well.

"You see Belphie, I'm still here. I will always be here. If there is a way for me to stay with you forever, I will do anything.
It was just a dream and nothing of it will happen. I will be here for you. Always. You hear me Belphie?" You were crying for real now. You didn't know what else to say besides reassuring him over and over again that it would be okay and that you wouldn't leave.

Now it was his turn to wipe your tears.
"Don't be sad over a dream I had, please. I want you to be happy, not this, please."

"I won't leave, Belphie." You hesitated for a second, but decided not to care.

"I love you, Belphie, I would never leave you. Even if I'd die, I would find a way to get back to you even if it would cost me my soul. Anything. I love you."

His eyes widened a little.
"I- I- I love you too."

You cupped his face in your hands and kissed him. It was a kiss filled with love and pain and fear. Fear of losing each other in a way that would be a repeating of the past. Pain of the thought. Love to reassure each other that you would stay.

You kissed him as a promise. A promise to come back for him, wherever you would go.

You pulled back and wiped the tears of his face. You didn't even know if it were your tears or his.

"Can... Can I stay here tonight?"

"Oh Belphie, you can stay here every night."

And with those words he nuzzled his face into your chest and drifted of to sleep.
It was then some more tears rolled down your face, but this time you knew it was tears of hope.

~AN~

Lets gooooo. Sorry for the wait, but damn I'm low-key proud.

Yes I cried myself when I wrote this, come fight me.

Side characters up next. Updates might come a bit slower since I'm about to be very busy, but maybe I'll still make one every 1-2 days~

~Boo~