ix.

GIULIA

I sit down on the blanket I spread out on the grass, overlooking the vast property ahead. It's mid-day and I decided to eat a snack in the backyard, past the pool and fountain, but before the long hill that extends out to the miles of what looks like an old vineyard along with some stables, and a beautiful landscape of hills in the distance.

It's chilly for 2pm, but for early November in Boston? It could definitely be worse, and I'm taking advantage of the strikingly rare warmth that the sun is giving off today. I have on a cream sweater to keep me warm, paired with some black jeans and white slip on shoes. I pop a cracker in my mouth, taking a sip of my tea as I try to keep myself warm under the chilly breeze.

"Ahem," I hear someone clear their throat as they approach. I hear their footsteps on the grass, and I slowly turn to see that it is Vincenzo approaching me. I had a feeling that it wouldn't be Nicolas — he's avoided me since the kiss in the kitchen two nights ago. "I was looking for you."

"Why?" I ask bluntly. I haven't had any interaction with Vincenzo since seeing him at the casino and club the other day, and I wasn't really keen on him to want his attention anyways. Really, I didn't want any attention anymore.

My birthday was coming up in a few days, and I would be back in Chicago. There was no point in dragging the days out and arguing with Nicolas, or even trying to get close to him. I knew it would mean nothing anyways.

"I was heading down to the stables to check on the horses. There's two new younglings and Nicolas thought that you may enjoy seeing them," he remarks, raising an eyebrow at me. It's not really an offer from him, but more of a 'Nicolas said so, so we're going' type of statement.

I sigh softly, wiping my hands down with a napkin and taking a last sip of my tea before jumping up to my feet. Vincenzo doesn't move, but rather waits for me at a slight distance.

"I guess I'll come. Why would he send you to take me there? I don't really know anything about horses either," I point out. I never mentioned anything about wanting a horse when I was younger, even though I did badly. But my parents refused, as they believed I would want to learn to ride — which I did want to — and it would somehow affect my precious hymen.

My eyes roll without meaning to, but Vincenzo doesn't notice as he starts walking past me, towards the stables. I follow him, quickening my steps when I realize that he's talking to me.

"Well, I'm sure he just assumed it. Nicolas doesn't really have much time right now to ride or check up on his horse, but I enjoy feeding and brushing them to get away from reality, so I've been doing it," his words are clipped, and it's evident to me that he's irritated about something. I don't push on what. He wouldn't tell me anyways.

Vincenzo almost seems like a normal person for a minute there. When he says he likes doing it to get away from reality and all, but then again, his reality isn't any type of normal. None of ours is. I'm practically being bred and raised like a goddamn race horse to be sold off in marriage to a born killer.

When we get to the stables, I'm slightly winded, and I realize that it's because I haven't been getting my daily cardio and exercise in. I make a mental note to myself to continue to do it starting tonight as I need to make sure that I fit into my custom gown for my birthday party. Mama would have a fit if she realized that I gained half a pound in the last few weeks, and yes, she would notice even the slightest change in my body.

"Wow, there's a lot of them," I remark as I step into the aisle of the stable. There's four horses on each side, all of them insanely gorgeous, standing tall and proud. I walk down further, the crunch of the hay on the floor under my feet, stopping at the end when I realize that there's two more — two foals. "These are the new ones?"