xix.

GIULIA'S POV

Nicolas grabs my arm tightly, his large hand engulfing my skinny upper arm as he tugs me to his side. At first I think of it as a romantic gesture, if Nicolas has any romantic bone, which I'm pretty sure he doesn't hence why I thought it's an aggressive way of showing affection.

But I'm wrong. The moment I let out a small smile I notice that Nicolas' stance is extremely rigid. The fantastic source? Angelo.

Angelo is here.

Why?

I'm pretty sure that he doesn't come here often. He rules all of these cities as Don, but Nicolas is right under him, handling all of Boston. Angelo stays in New York, and even though we've met here before, I didn't think I would see him again.

He looks wickedly like Nicolas. Firm stance, strong muscles, extremely blank expression planted on his face. I watch as he narrows his eyes at Nicolas and I, his eyes landing on me and sending chills down my spine. He's looking at me as if I'm his next meal — not the good kind of meal either. I wouldn't want him anywhere near me anyways.

Especially not after how angry Nicolas got the last time I saw Angelo. Not only did it make me nervous to see him so reactive towards Angelo's presence, but it also drives my curiosity. Should Angelo and Nicolas be close? They're cousins and Nicolas technically reports to Angelo.

I could be wrong, because the closest person I have to a cousin is Bianca, but I'm almost positive that they should have a good relationship. I'm very thrown off by the vibes that the two of them give off when together.

"What are you doing here?" Nicolas snaps at Angelo, saying the first words. Angelo must have walked in here unannounced. "It's considered rude to walk into someone's house without being invited in."

My face twists in confusion, and I'm almost positive that it's evident. I don't do well in hiding my emotions, very much like Nicolas, who looks like he's about to blow a fuse.

"Well," Angelo's focus is on me, partially hidden behind Nicolas' arm. "Someone was looking for you at the club. I figured that I would save you the trouble of picking her up."

He flashes a grin just as Carmella walks into the room. It's clear by the way that she struts in that she's never been here before. Her eyes glance over the entire space, before finally focusing on me. She grimaces, almost as if she's disgusted before looking at Nicolas.

Nicolas immediately stiffens next to me, and the space between us increases. It's not much, but enough for me to notice that he's intentionally doing this, unsure of if he should stay close to protect me from Angelo or step away to please Bianca.

Not that Nicolas is the type to do anything for anyone except himself. I try not to act hurt and straighten my stance, refusing to let the appearance of the terrifying Angelo or the annoying ass bitch that stands next to her get to me.

"Well, you're wrong. Carmella, you know better than to come here," Nicolas hisses, narrowing his eyes at her.

"Oh, I wasn't sure who I'm supposed to listen to. Angelo invited me, and you know, since he's technically your boss, I figured it safer to listen to him," Carmella says before walking up to Nicolas, throwing her arms around him.

"I've missed you, baby," she smirks at me as Nicolas is forced to pull away from me. He doesn't hug her back, but it takes him a minute to actually pull back from their hug.

I want to scream.

With everyone's eyes on me, I feel trapped. I don't want to make a scene, but I feel like it's well deserved. How is any of this fair? Nicolas said she wouldn't be an issue, and here she is, in this house I'm living with him in.