xi.

GIULIA

Looking at myself in the mirror, I stare at my reflection, realizing that this is the day that I've been waiting for since as long as I could remember.

My eighteenth birthday. Well, technically, it won't be until midnight, but the party starts at 8pm and will likely go past the early hours of the next day. I'll blow out those candles tonight, at midnight precisely, and everyone will cheer me on for becoming a woman.

My blonde curls hang immaculately over my shoulders, past my breasts, and stop midway down my torso. I adjust the straps on my white lingerie, a little sexy piece that Bibiana gifted me before our flight into Chicago yesterday. It was a hectic day, with Nicolas and Romero keeping guard on the two of us since we arrived on Outfit territory. I slept in my old bedroom, but we arrived at this expensive resort this afternoon so I could get ready at the venue of the party.

Mama and Papa were downstairs greeting some guests, and I managed to slip it on, ready to put my champagne gold gown overtop. Mama would be okay with the white lingerie, if it weren't for the thin lace material, sexy straps, matching garter, and thong panties. But I felt sexy in it, like a true woman should on her eighteenth birthday.

Just as I'm about to grab my dress from where it is hanging, there's a knock at the door. I rush to grab my silk robe, but it flies open, and I hurry to cover myself.

"It's just me, sweetheart. That's nothing I haven't already seen," Nicolas' voice booms through the room as he steps in, closing the door behind him. He has a large box in his hand, with a bouquet of red roses laid across the top. "Is that for me?"

He nudges his head towards my body, referring to the set I have on as I slide the robe on, covering myself as my cheeks tinge red. I feel shy by his sudden appearance, although he is right, he has already seen me in something similar to this before.

"No. It's for me," I hiss at him, still upset at him. We hadn't talked since he yelled at me and opened up about the truth of our engagement that night, and even on the flight here, he only said what was necessary. Since then, we haven't been alone, although he is great at acting like we tolerate and enjoy each other's company around all of my family and guests.

"For you, then," He doesn't reply to my comment, but rather walks up to me, handing me the bouquet of roses. I hesitate, but take them, bringing them up to my nose and getting a waft of that sweet smell of rose. It's tradition for him to bring me something as a gift, as it's my birthday and he is my fiancé.

"How did you get past security?" I ask, confused as to how the hell he got up here. The entire floor was blocked off for me to get ready in private, and only affiliated guests were allowed on the resort property. There is no way my father's men would allow Nicolas up here by himself, as that would be inappropriate.

"I killed them," he says sternly, and I can't tell if he's serious or not. I hope he isn't, but don't ask, as I would rather not know it if he really had. I honestly wouldn't put it past this man to do that. "Anyways, I decided that I would help you get into your dress. Your mother wanted to send Bibiana, but I managed her a room with Romero in private, so you get me instead."

Nicolas grins slyly at me, and I don't even know how to react to his odd humor now. Why is he trying to be funny and nice now? I watch as he crouches down, opening up the box that was in his hands and is now on a stool. There is tons of white wrapping paper, which he yanks out fo reveal a silky red material.

My eyes flicker to his, which are focused on picking it up, holding up a silk red gown in front of me. My mouth falls open, unsure of what to say. Did he buy this for me? I already have a gown that was custom made for this party, and Nicolas knew that because he dropped me to see my mama yesterday at the final fitting.