.I.I.

❝Golden eyes watching our every move

Losing time

Without the sun or moon

Shadows, they can't even touch the ground

The staircase is spiraling deeper down

Here we are in the heart of the darkness.❞

Heart of the darkness, Tomme Profit, Sam Tinnesz.

.A Searing Burst Of Light.

.Part One.

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪

In this city of poison smoke, individuals exchange their lungs for a rope noose. Ashes of the runaways who hadn't been discovered lay silently beneath their feet and on the tilted earth. Monsters can be spotted at every corner and in the shadows of the deepest alleys of Ketterdam. They emerge from the shadowy recesses and plunder until there is nothing left.

Only the wicked were known to survive.

Living in Ketterdam was like free falling in the dark while holding daggers to your heart. Life was a constant gamble of survival, but I guess you can't kill what's already dead. No one in this damned city can remember what it's like to be human, if they were ever human at all that is.

Ambrosia Dawn had escaped this demonic city for two years, but tonight, she returned. She was seeking out an old friend, Kaz Brekker. But she had no notion what she would actually be entering. In the depths of the Barrel, a hazy silhouette could be seen. It was one of many meaningless evenings in Ketterdam when Ambrosia noticed someone sitting on a windowsill out of the corner of her eye for a brief moment. The ghost vanished as fast as it had been, leaving just the unpleasant impression that someone was watching over you constantly.

Ambrosia obviously knew better than to think the person was just a simulation or a figment of her exhausted imagination. She had lived her entire life in Ketterdam's suffocating atmosphere, so she had had ample opportunity to develop the most crucial survival skill. even if she had spent two years escaping its hold.

One lesson she had learned was to never doubt yourself.

At every turn, someone was waiting to stab an unwary bystander in the throat in the world's grimiest commercial and commerce centre. Why trust at all if you can't even trust yourself? She was aware of being watched even as her personal observer vanished. Ambrosia was aware of what she witnessed.