.I.XIV.

❝I don't know where the lights are taking us

But something in the night is dangerous

And nothing's holding back the two of us

But, baby, this is getting serious

Oh oh oh

Dan-danger-dangerous❞

Dangerous, David Guetta.

.No Mourners.

.Part One.

Darkness comes as strong protective arms, holding us close until the promised dawn. Within it we are as children once more, safe in shields of duvet. Yet in this place so open to the skies, resting in the cricket's lullaby, our eyes are as bright as the constellations above; our stardust atoms seeking the stars until they can bathe in the light of the sun.

But of course, in the current circumstance, this doesn't apply to the darkness. With this darkness brings cries of innocent people stripped of their delight into monsters. Children. Women. Men. Dawn isn't promised here either, it's a never ending circle of constant debilitating darkness that swallows you whole. No stars can be seen, there's no light except the lightning amongst the ashy shadow clouds that built this black smudge of a pit on the map. The air was also cold, freezing, it's the type of coldness that reaches into your bones, as if your heart were a door left wide open to the icy wind, slamming only to open again.

Anxious. Ambrosia was anxious. That was for certain. She had been a ball of resentless stress since they boarded that skiff not too long ago. Words of wisdom prior ran her mind no one is dying tonight was that what Kaz really thought? What he really thought while bringing them onto a skiff with people that could easily kill them with a hand movement on sight, surrounded in darkness that inhabited monsters that would love some Barrel Rats for their dinner. Ambrosia feared he had too much faith. Something was heavy in her bones that something would go terribly wrong and one, if not all, of them wouldn't make it out of the Fold breathing. She guided the file across her nails quickly, forming white powder at the base before blowing it off. She knew she'd have to use them tonight.

"This is a bad idea," Jesper started, cleaning his guns with a cloth.

"I think it's rather practical," Kaz replied.