.I.IV.

❝Oh, but I know you'll cause me grief

Close friends of mine are in disbelief

As they can see what's underneath

Fluttering lashes, red lips and pearly white teeth❞

Fear & Delight, The Correspondents.

.The Making At The Heart Of The World.

.Part One.

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪

Ambrosia hadn't managed to muster any sleep the previous night and all morning she'd been running on pure desire to get this job done. But now, she'd fallen asleep in a carriage and Kaz was beside her, the only noise around was that of the wheels against the gravel and the sound of horse shoes colliding with the ground.

"Pst Kaz?" Jesper half whispered, trying to get his boss' attention.

"What is it?" Kaz asked turning his gaze towards Jesper in front of him.

"She's asleep."

Kaz looked over at the girl next to him deep in her own sleep. The other two took note of how is face softened a little at the sight of her sleeping peacefully. Neither of them had seen that side to him before, they were used to the emotionless Barrel Boss. Not this hearted teenage boy. It startled them slightly watching him act differently because of one person. But maybe she was more to him than a long lost childhood friend, maybe there was something more to their relationship, something they'd never know about.

They watched as he reluctantly looked away from her, they watched as his breath hitched as her head fell onto his shoulder. They expected him to shake her off or move away, but he didn't. He didn't nudge her. He didn't move. He just checked on her briefly before looking away again. Was this really the Kaz they'd known for so long?

It wasn't until they reached Novokribirsk that Ambrosia actually woke up, her eyes widened briefly when she realised who's shoulder her head was on.

"Have a good sleep, sleeping beauty?" Jesper asked when she straightened up. Ambrosia playfully rolled her eyes at him in return and the five of them soon returned to a silence again.

After a while, Kaz turned his head to Arken, "I didn't hire you simply to get us across the Fold. You're with us because you smuggle Grisha out of the Little Palace, and that's the location of our target."