𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐁𝐲 𝐘𝐨𝐮

Chithra : What is this Thamizh? Is this how you speak to her?

Thamizh: Ma but... okay I was harsh but look at how she is talking. Why is she so negative about herself? Why can't she accept that she is good at what she is doing? Even in college she was just like this, she used to be the topper but still used to give all the credits to luck. Now she has this damn ring !

Chithra looks worriedly at Thamizh.

Chithra: So what Thamizh?

Thamizh: What do you mean by 'so what' ma? She will never do anything or try anything new in life if she continues to be this, it is high time she lets go of this luck factor.

Chithra (confides): You may be right but, do you think we don't have lucky charms or factors of belief? At least indirectly? Don't we believe in God whenever we feel something is not going right or lack confidence in something?

Thamizh shrugged his arms in disinterest.

Thamizh: Ma... everyone believes in God..

Chithra: Yes, but isn't God also a superpower that we use to get rid of fear? It's the same way for Aadhira as well. It's just that we lack confidence once in a while whereas she lacks it most of the time... She just needs it to support herself.

Thamizh gets thinking about that statement. Chithra holds him by his shoulder and asks him to sit.

Chithra: Just let her be her. If she believes she can escape her fear with that ring.. let her be. Moreover, it is a ring gifted by her brother.. we can't question her at all. It is her choice and... emotion.

Thamizh (sceptical) : But why is she like this ma? Can't she do any single thing without the ring? She is talented, yet why is she being so hard on herself? Nobody should pass a comment on her or even try to talk about her fears, she just tries her best to brush it off...

Chithra: Thamizh... how can we blame her.. yes maybe she is trying to be protective of her self and as a friend you might find it difficult to not be able to confide in her.. but think of her childhood. She has always mentioned how her parents had been.

Thamizh thinks of the instances where Aadhira had spoken to him about her father.

Chithra: Even her mother has told us right... that her father used to be so critical of her? Remember, she has witnessed the divorce of her parents Thamizh.. at the age of seven. How hard would it have been on a little girl to have witnessed fights and abuses? On top of it she would have seen her mother break down at all instances emotionally and financially... You know what, you should consider her courage to have stood through all of this...

Thamizh realizes that she did not have a fruitful childhood like he did. Unknowingly, his heart pained imagining her pain in childhood.

Chithra: Maybe she is actually trying hard to get rid of this insecurity but is not able to... and do you realise that this is the first time she has ever spoken much about her mental state. We should try to understand and support her rather than showing hostility to her honest self.

Thamizh: I'm sorry ma...

Chithra: You don't have to be sorry to me... I can understand your plight as her friend. And it's okay to not been able to understand, you did it at least now.

Thamizh: I'll apologise to her...

Chithra smiles seeing his understanding nature.

Aadhira (passively): It's okay...

Chithra and Thamizh look in the direction of the voice and find Aadhira and Madhi standing. They go near the other duo.

Madhi (smiling) : Apology accepted!

Chithra and Thamizh stand up to them.

Chithra: When did you both come?

Madhi: Just now, after having some chocolate. (winks at Thamizh)

Thamizh: I'm sorry Aadhira...

Aadhira: No... I'm sorry, I shouldn't have talked about all of this and spoilt your mood...

Chithra: No da, you did not spoil our mood. In fact we are really happy that you spoke about what you felt. You should always talk about your bad days to us just like you talk about your good days. We will always listen to you. Even if this Thamizh doesn't listen to you (hits slightly on his shoulder), we will okay? (Looks at Thamizh)

Aadhira and Thamizh look at each other and chuckle slightly.

Madhi: And... you should try reconsidering that decision of continuing that show.

Aadhira nods her head slowly refusing to do so.

Chithra: Just give it a try da... whatever happens, it is just going to be an addition to your experience as a singer.

Thamizh calmly watches them talk.

Madhi: Yes da... doesn't matter if you win or not. You should do it for the singer in you. Do not do it for anybody, but just for yourself.

Chithra: We will stand by you at your end. You know that. And... let me tell you something, feeling not enough is very normal da...

Aadhira (whining): But I am actually not enough Aunty! I don't think I'm better than anybody or worth...

Madhi: It is still okay. (smiles) It is okay to be not enough. It is okay to be not good than your fellow competitors. What matters is, if you have tried or not.

Thamizh smiles at them and asks himself why he was not able to say the same to her.

Thamizh: I agree. Everyone's qualities and talents are different, it does not necessarily be the same also. It is beautiful to be unique.

Chithra and Madhi looks surprised at Thamizh's speech. Aadhira thinks about every word of theirs.

Chithra: It is completely fine even if you are not perfect in it but... TRY.

Madhi-Thamizh-Chithra (in chorus): We will stand by you at any situation. Promise !

Aadhira gets overwhelmed by their words despite her tantrums. She felt this unexperienced support lifting her by her shoulder which made her feel lighter than ever. With tears exuberating from her big eyes, her cheeks burned from the constant rubbing.

Aadhira (quivering voice): Okay... okay... only for you guys...

The trio cheered loudly for her. She smiled beyond her tears.

Aadhira: But I have a condition...

Chithra-Madhi-Thamizh: What?

Aadhira gathers them three by their arms and make them stand together.

Aadhira: I want a hug... (pouts)

The trio laughed at her child-like antics and shared a group hug.

Aadhira, after a long time sensed the happiness of the presence of a support system, from a family to which she didn't even belong to.

They chatted away the evening with banters, music and chocolates.

TO BE CONTINUED