Chapter 40

Only one word describes how I feel about 'rebuilding' myself.

Exhausting.

Pure exhaustion. The kidnapping and being in the hospital has really held me back on my school work. My grades went from A's to C's and F's. I have to catch up on every thing. Lucky for me, the teachers actually like me. So, I have to stay for tutoring every day until I get right back on track with my fellow classmates.

And that means for mostly every subject I have. Which is 7 in total. Plus, I have college applications to fill in. And if I don't catch up soon, I might not even be able to graduate.. That's worse than horrible.

My life is so stressful right now, luckily I'm in my last class. Chemistry.

Its almost ending anyway. I should be out of here in 5..4..3..2...1!

Once the bell rings, singling me to leave. I walk out, avoiding any eye contact.

You see, going to tutoring every single day in the week and studying. And doing all the missing assignments and the college applications are letting me forget all about Ryder. Well, sort of... Its a good distraction, am I right? I think I'm right.

I go to my locker, before I leave to get all my books. I need to study and try to finish all the assignments that I got from every teacher.

Tomorrow is my first after school tutoring. Which is with Ms. Green, math teacher. Ugh. I hate math.

I continue to walk, almost reaching the exit. When I heard my name being called. I turn around and see Derek.

Its just Derek.

"Hey, goofball." I chuckle and he comes jogging closer to me.

"Hey, babe," He winks playfully. His hair looks wet and he has his football uniform on. He looks really sweaty and he smells.

I scrunch my nose," You need to head to the showers."

"Oh, come on. You know you love my smell and sweat." He smirks and comes a bit too close. He has a weird expression and I don't know if I should be scared or find he's face humorous.

"Bear hug!" He screams and in one spilt second I feel his sweaty large, tan, muscular arms around my waist. Squeezing the life out of me.

"Ew! Get off! I can't breathe." I scream and laugh. There are two reasons why I can't breathe correctly.

1. his arms are squeezing me.

And 2. He smells bad and I'm trying to not let the smell enter my nostrils.

"Why you smell so clean. Join me and my filth Ari." He laughs loudly.

"I can't move, Derek I think I'm going to pass out." I say and feel my arms, that are on my sides, going numb.

"Only if you let me walk you home." He says and lays his head on my shoulder. This is the most awkward hug I have ever gotten. My arms are to my sides and my feet are off the ground. I feel like a doll. Just hanging there, being held by this muscular lunatic.

After a few seconds of just hanging. I agree, I need to breathe.

He puts me down and has the most goofiest smile plastered on his face. He looks like a small boy that just got a treat for being on a good behavior.

Its adorable even.

"Shall we go, now?" He breaks the silence.

"We shall," I smirk and hook my left arm to his right and walk in a very stiff posture.

He chuckles and mocks my moves, as we head to the exit. I miss this. I miss my best guy friend.

And then it strikes me. Megan.. She's gone. I haven't thought much of her since the incident. Did they even organize a funeral for her? Did they bury her, already? Derek hasn't really mentioned her. Its like she never existed. Just thinking of that, makes me flinch.