Chapter 68: A Gift is Coming...

Sitting with Amir at lunch in school that day was awkward. I thought it would be easier to just sit down and start shedding my skin in front of him but I immediately forgot what exactly I wanted to say or how I wanted to say it and instead of being productive we both ate our school lunch chicken and chips in silence.

Amir was busy picking his apart and glaring at the mash he was making with his fork. I stared at him, frowning I handed him a vinegar packet which he ignored.

I groaned inwardly. Since when did I care what he thought? He was a year below me, he should be worried what I thought of him.

We were sitting outside the football field in the shade of the stands with the sun blaring down and cooking everything that was green and skin coloured. The boys playing were sweating buckets and the white ones getting redder as the game went on. Technically it was only an in-team match so why they were trying so hard was beyond me.

"Since when do you play football anyway?" I asked Amir suddenly.

He had told me to meet him there because he was just finished going through a set of routine tests they did on the new football members to decide where they needed work and whether or not the team wanted them.

"I don't." He admitted.

I raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

"Trying to get Enna to look at me, it doesn't matter."

"Enna is into football?" Enna was the girl he was trying to impress by becoming class prefect.

"No, she's into the players." He said, looking irritated. I wanted to laugh at him. "Don't... I heard her friend say that. It doesn't matter, I should be the one asking you all the questions."

A short silence and then I replied, leaning back into my chair and stretching my legs out.  "Yeah, alright." I surrendered.

"Alright, you'll answer?"

I shrugged. "What d'you wanna know..." Closing my eyes as I stretched.

"Explain." Amir demanded, no context needed.

I covered my eyes with me right hand and sighed loudly. "'Splain what. Let me know where to start at least..."

"Why did he kiss you?"

"Because he's an arsehole." I ground out. "Because he's not at all afraid of looking gay and he likes embarrassing the shit out of me."

"Okay." Amir replied, and I thought he was going to leave it there. "Then a better question would be why did you kiss him?"

I looked at him, startled. "I... What?"

"Akara, for shit's sake man, why kiss him at all? You could have made her think you guys were dating each other some other way..."

"I don't know... I couldn't think of another way off the top of my head."

"Just went straight to kissing him?"

That made me flush red. I put my restless hands in my pockets and focussed on the sweaty lads in the field who were seemingly beginning to accept the football as an autonomous person with it's own right to pave it's way in life without being interfered with.

"Have you kissed before?"

I jolted sideways a little, my heart raced at the question even though I sort of saw the question in his eyes before he asked it. Honest. Be honest. I told myself this but it went against every other urgent request in my head.