Chapter 86: The Icebreaker

"I probably couldn't give out his number either way, y'know, without his permission."

Tabitha's smile waned a little, her eyes focussing on me more than before in an uncomfortable way, it made her expression look sharper.

"Oh yeah, uhuh sure..." She nodded. "I mean I was just going to ask him for help for homework. Loads of people do. He's a prefect yeah?" She asked the rhetorical question with a bit of bite.

I nodding, shifting uncomfortably, feeling like I ought to be raising my hands here. "Yeah..."

She nodded. "So, like everyone has his number, right?"

She kept her eyes on me as she asked me this.

I shrugged uncomfortably, growing embarrassment causing me to be unsure of how to form a reply. She was right I guess, I probably sounded weird making giving out his number sound like it was some huge privacy breach, it wasn't like I was the only person with Jacob's number I knew that for certain, I wasn't trying to be either, it just felt weird to hand it out to random people and...

I kinda felt like he would get pissed if I shared his number somehow. Not that, that mattered. I didn't care either way.

She waited for me to form a response other than shrugged and kept watching me, as the others unknowingly continued their conversation.

"I mean it's probably fine then yeah..." I finally said unwillingly, more out of awkwardness than anything else.

She then smiled at me brightly and her face transformed from something tense and offended to something seemingly carefree and pretty. It was such a comparison that I almost forgot the way she looked at me for a second there.

"So is this what you spend your lunch doing? You don't like sports?"

I shook my head. "Not particularly."

She nodded slowly. "Right, same. Sports sucks." She laughed.

Ellen rolled her eyes and intervened. "She's like number one in track, she's being modest."

"I am not!"

"She doesn't want to shove it in peoples faces."

"Really?" I couldn't imagine it looking at her, she looked like she had no muscle tone at all, anywhere. Pretty nice figure either way, breasts that were proportional to her so they looked good, and long legs that were eventuated by the knee high white socks and the non regulation short skirt. Hot. Smoking hot. The more that I looked at her the better she looked.

I realised I was looking her up and down too late and she looked a little creeped out as she watched my gaze return to her face.

I gave a weak smile as she inched away from me on the bench.

Oh for goodness sake, I just looked... Even if she gave me permission to touch I wasn't sure... I mean... 

"You know there's a rumour going around that you guys are, like, together? Like that." Bell giggled, her hands on her face as she rested on the table.

Amir went a little pale, I probably did too, because I felt the blood drain from my face. He glanced at me and I at him and we both looked away.

"Well..." He replied in the awkward silence following that casual statement. "That's not true."

She nodded.

"So, uh, Tabitha?"

She turned to look at me. 

"Your brother is Callen?"

She nodded.

Amir laughed in surprise, which seemed like an improper response to the new factoid that revealed a spy to be sitting at the table, but then I had to remember that Amir didn't know about the photo at all...