0.10

Alarico bit his lip nervously as he watched his father pace nervously in the hospital hallway, bumping into men and women in doctor coats and scrubs. His mother just sat, tears rolling down her cheeks as she played with Alverio's hair and caressed Amertio's cheeks.

When Alarico woke them up, screaming and crying, it surprised them. They managed to calm him down and he was finally able to explain and as soon as he did Fernando sprinted to Ximena's room while Esmeralda got the car ready before waking the rest of them up. It was chaos and as soon as Amertio found out what happened he began yelling at Alarico non-stop saying how it was his fault.

Esmeralda managed to calm Amertio down then he started bawling as Ximena was wheeled into the intensive care unit. He had never cried so much as her blue face and purple lips replayed in his mind like a broken tape recorder. He could have done something to help. He should have stayed with her, maybe this would have never happened.

"Mama" he cried out making his mother turn to him "mama I'm sorry"

"Rico" her voice was strained "come here"

He inched closer, leaning onto her body.

"This is not your fault okay" she stopped playing with Alverio's hair and stopped caressing Amertio's cheek "You may have treated her badly but this-"

She paused and pointed to the ICU.

"She being in there isn't your fault" she glanced at Amertio who was sleeping "don't let Tio get into your head you know how he gets when he is angry"

Alarico nodded and she pulled him into her lap.

"What's on your mind Rico?" She asked softly.

"How do I make it up to Mena?" He asked shyly.

***
Fernando's tired eyes met his wife's red puffy one's as she was surrounded by their sleeping children. She mouthed 'it's going to be ok', 'she is a fighter', 'I love you' to him and a very small but noticeable smile overtook his face. She made everything better.

"Mr. Alonzo" The doctor who was treating her, learned as Ajay said, making Esmeralda straighten her position and Fernando turned to face him.

.Since they were all the way in the Maldives and Manuel was all the way in Mexico they had to go to the Maldivian mafia hospital - or the Dhivehin mafia -

"T-Thats me" he said coldly.

"Can I talk to you about your daughter's condition?" he asked, making him stiff.

She was alive and that was a relief.

"So she is alive?" He confirmed and doctor Ajay nodded, making him smile.

"Esme do you want to tag along?" He asked and she shook her head.

"The boys look pretty tired" she smiled "go ahead we will be here"

He nodded and motioned for doctor Ajay to lead the way.

"Is that your wife?" He asked and Fernando just nodded "she's beautiful and looks great with children"

Fernando sent him a glare and he looked away, adjusting his glasses on his dark face.

Soon they got to an office that had 'Doc. Ajay' boldly written on it.

They entered and Ajay offered him a seat which he accepted.

"Your daughter has respiratory arrest" he explained "it is caused by apnea (cessation of breathing) or respiratory dysfunction severe enough it will not sustain the body (such as agonal breathing). Prolonged apnea refers to a patient who has stopped breathing for a long period of time. If the heart muscle contraction is intact, the condition is known as respiratory arrest. An abrupt stop of pulmonary gas exchange lasting for more than five minutes may damage vital organs especially the brain, possibly permanently. Lack of oxygen to the brain causes loss of consciousness. Brain injury is likely if respiratory arrest goes untreated for more than three minutes, and death is almost certain if more than five minutes"

Fernando nodded, not understanding where he was going.

"Mr. Alonzo-Garza your daughter has a traumatic brain injury" he said making Fernando freeze "Brain dysfunction caused by an outside force, usually a violent blow to the head"

"We took a gander and think she felt off her bed or hit her head against something so hard it cause her TBI - traumatic brain injury -"

"We took an EEG test which is-" Fernando cut him off.

"And EEG is short for Electroencephalogram" he said quickly, not liking where this conversion was going.

"That's very correct" Doctor Ajay said "This is the most common test used to diagnose epilepsy. In this test, electrodes are attached to your scalp with a paste-like substance or cap. The electrodes record the electrical activity of your brain"

"It seems as if your daughter um" he cleared his throat uncomfortably, noticing the very harsh glare that Fernando sent his way.

He knew hitting on the man's wife was bad and he could sense the anger was still there but he knew breaking the news to him would get him killed. He wasn't stupid. A few minutes after he hit on his wife and he sent hi a glare he had realised who he was talking to and ever since he was scared shitless. He was talking to Fernando Gael Alonzo-Garza. A man who was known for ruthlessly killing anyone who tried to screw him up then he met his wife, Esmeralda. Rumor had it she was just as bad as him, if not worse, they fell in love, got married and now they are parents. Their children softened them especially Esmeralda but the mafia world knew that the heirs of Fernando and Esmeralda would be merciless, crueler and more wicked. They had made names for themselves for their hacking skills as well as combat skills at such a young age. Who knows what shit they will be up to as teens. The mafia world was definitely not ready for them.

"Spit it out pequeño hijo de puta" Fernando spat, making him flinch.

"Your daughter" he scratched the back of his neck nervously, smoothing out his short black hair "our Electroencephalogram test has shown that she has epilepsy"

****
I hope you like the chapter. Please vote and comment. Sorry for not updating in a while. Please check out my other account for more books.