0.13

As soon as Ximena started wailing due to the sudden loud noise Fernando rushed to her, cradling her in his arms. His parents looked at Ximena in shock. Who was she?

"It can't be" Catalina covered her mouth with her hands as her eyes got misty with tears.

Did they find her? And didn't tell them?

"Son, is that X-Ximena?" Jorge asked warily.

Was that his granddaughter? The one he waited years to see? The one he would kill for? The one he knew he would cherish forever? His little princess.

Fernando was too busy cooing at Ximena, trying to shush so Esmeralda nodded weakly, trying to grab Ximena. She was wailing and kicking her legs until she started uncontrollable jerking movements making Amertio gasp. Catalina watched in shock.

Amertio ran to his baby sister and began whispering sweet nothings to her. She had never really had a seizure before. This was her first time. Usually she just stared into the thin air but now he was frightened. Heck they all were most especially Catalina and Jorge because this was their first time seeing her let alone meeting her.

Once she had calmed down Esmeralda took her away for a bath and then back to bed, a worried look on her face. Avarez, Amertio and Amersio followed equally worried if not more and Fernando ran his hand through his hair. He didn't like seeing her like that. How many times was life going to fuck up his little girl.

"Is that X-Ximena?" Catalina asked again, still quite dazed.

Fernando nodded.

"When did you find her?" Jorge asked him, guilt tracing his words.

He couldn't help but feel at fault for her seizure even though it definitely wasn't his fault. How would he have known? He was so used to being loud with his grandsons.

"A few weeks ago" he whispered, his head hanging low.

"Tell us everything," his mother said firmly, squeezing his hand.

"Turns out she was in Mexico this-" Jorge cut himself off, perplexed.

"This whole time?" He exclaimed, making his wife punch his shoulder harshly making him wince.

Her punches hurt every damn time.

"Yes" Fernando nodded "Gilberto had her-"

"That sick little bitch" his mother interrupted, this time making Jorge chuckle.

"As I was saying" he narrowed his eyes at his parents "Gilberto kept her in Mexico the whole time. Used her as his personal punching bag and toy-"

"Did he t-touch her?" Catalina gasped, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"I hope not," he whispered audibly.

"You haven't had a rape kit?" Jorge yelled, making both Catalina and Fernando flinch.

"No" he explained "I want her to tell me when she feels comfortable"

"She's three for fucks sake she probably doesn't understand much" Jorge growled.

"Do you understand how much it hurt seeing her bruised and tortured but no it didn't end there she was kidnapped again and now she has fucking epilepsy so yeah I'm a fucked up father for not having a rape kit but I want her to be comfortable ok" Fernando yelled, frustration leaking in his voice.

God he was so fucking angry with life

The room went quiet and heavy. Fernando's chest was heaving up and down and he wanted nothing more than to break down in tears.

"Ximena," Catalina whispered, making him sigh.

"That's why she was jerking uncontrollably," Jorge whispered to himself.

"Yes it seems loud noises trigger her seizure" he nodded.

"Was this her first time?" Catalina sked and Fernando just nodded.

"We are sorry son- maybe we shouldn't have come-" Fernando cut his father off.

He never wanted his father and mother to feel unwelcome in his home.

"No dad" he shook his head "you didn't know"

Jorge sighed and allowed his wife to squeeze his shoulder soothingly.

"How is Manuel? His mother tried to clear the tension and both men smiled.

Catalina Alonso-Garza sure was a peacemaker.

"He's doing great," he smiled softly "He's helped Mena this whole time"

"Has he finally got himself a girl," Catalina asked, her eyes wide with curiosity.

"No, he's still the most serious motherfucker out there with a huge stick up his ass" he laughed making her pout and mumble under her breath.

Both mother and son continued talking about Manuel and how he was probably going to die alone while Jorge just sat still, multiple thoughts running through his head.

But they were all about one thing- or person, his granddaughter.

***

Jorge ran his hand through his hair as he paced in front of her room. He was worried. What if she had another epilepsy attack. He was becoming restless and he was very close to yanking the door open and cradling her in his arms.

It was about midnight and the whole day Ximena avoided her grandparents, still scared of them even though her parents and brothers assured her they were no harm. She still had a fear that her family would turn against her lurking in her mind so she wasn't ready to accept these strangers who could equally do the same with open arms. Call it her defense mechanism.

The door suddenly flew open, almost hitting Jorge in the face. A very tired Alarico came out, his hair messy and a blanket draped over his shoulder. 

"Rico '' Jorge spoke, gaining Alarico's attention.

He glanced at his grandfather, shock on his face.

"Abuelo" he trailed off "I wasn't leaving I was-"

"It's fine hijo besides you look exhausted" Jorge dismissed him, assuring him that it was fine.

"No, I always stay up with her," he said firmly.

"Stay up? Always?" Jorge's lips parted "hijo when was the last time you slept?"

Alaric smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck slowly.

"I'm fine with not sleeping" he shrugged "as long as she's safe"

Jorge smiled softly as he ruffled his grandson's hair.

"You're doing a good job of being a big brother but try to get some sleep" he advised before hugging him - which he returned - and walked back to the room he shared with his wife, a proud smile on his face.

"If only you knew how much of an asshole brother I was, abuelo" he whispered to himself before entering back into her room, making sure to make no sounds.

***
Hello. I'm so sorry for not updating for ages. Please accept my humble offering. I will try and update between tomorrow and Monday. Please vote, comment and share