0.29

Alva tried to contain his smile as his brush grazed the paint-filled canvas. He narrowed his eyes in concentration and almost missed it when his door creaked open.

"Mena," he was stern.

She just grinned and stood at the door "Its break- breakifast time,"

She couldn't pronounce breakfast properly yet but she was learning, as always.

"I know what you're trying to do," his eyes never left his canvas "go,"

She pouted but obeyed him nonetheless.

"Ok but I'm going to eat your breakifast," she warned him.

He rolled his eyes at her bluff. She cried whenever she was forced to eat yet she would eat his breakfast? Impossible.

"Mama made bacon she- sheet p-pan pan-pancakes again," she stuttered as she popped her head through his door once again making him drop his brush.

He huffed a breath and moved out of his room before locking it.

"Mena," he whined making her pout and her eyes widened in confusion.

He suddenly picked her up making her squeal in excitement.

"Stop being too adorable and nosey," he kissed her nose tenderly "I'm trying to surprise you,"

She smiled and mumbled an okay. Once they got to the kitchen he was surprised to find no one there. He moved to the dining room and smiled when he noticed everyone was seated. His father and mother sat at the head. His father had drilled it into their head that the strength of every man was his woman and they deserved to be treated with respect and equality. They were not above them but they weren't below them. They respected their father for not only how he treated their mother but other women too.

"Buenos Dias," his mother was first to greet him.

He greeted her back and set Ximena beside Avarez who had already dished her a plate. Today they would be talking about everything.

Esmeralda made a big breakfast which the boys - including Fernando - were happy about after all they had very big appetites. Esmeralda made bacon sheet pan pancakes, gluten-free potato crust quiche Lorraine, green shakshuka which was sauteed greens that acted as bedding for a handful of eggs, bacon egg cheese clouds, ricotta pancakes and for dessert tiramisu and cannoli and cappuccino for both Esmeralda and Fernando and blueberry muffin green smoothie's, pineapple green smoothies and cinnamon roll smoothies which was the boys' favourites.

"Mama went overboard," Ximena giggled as her eyes took on all the food.

She had never seen so much food in her while three years of living.

Esmeralda playfully narrowed her eyes at her daughter who tried to hide her face with her tiny hands.

"Guess who's birthday it is tomorrow?" Avran smirked as he stared at his sister.

Immediately her eyes went cold with fear and nausea took over her body.

They were going to beat her up till she saw stars, she was almost sure of it.

"Mi Mundo there won't be a birthday beating," she read her thoughts "You can trust us,"

"I do," she mumbled "b-but t-they always did that on my birthday,"

"Yeah they suck" she chuckled bitterly.

Yes, every day on her birthday she went through birthday beatings. Her father and Gilberto were very much alike after all her father did train him. She could tell that Gilberto looked up to her father which she found very disgusting. He listened to him like a dog. Whatever he says goes, without hesitation.