15. Piper

Clint's POV

A few days later we're all in position when Piper McLean shows up. Bruce is watching for Bucky and Steve, who went out.  Tony is waiting for her of course, and I am watching on the cameras.  If necessary we'll step in but it's unlikely as that could make her suspicious.  Tony looks really nervous, but that does make sense with his cover story. Then Natasha walks in with the girl. She looks tougher than in most of the pictures of her. Her hair has a feather braided into it, but it looks rather strange and not like the pictures I'd seen of Native Americans so either her tribe does things in an unusual way, she's not using the traditional method, or it's a personal choice that's unrelated. She never did wear much makeup, but I'm surprised she didn't get dressed up more to meet Tony.  She's only wearing boots with a regular T-shirt and pants. However, considering how many pockets she's got, they have to have been made to her specifications. It's rare to see new money dressed casually like this, they usually try and flaunt their wealth. I guess her father did a good job of raising her, or hired someone good.  "Good afternoon, thanks for agreeing to meet with me." Tony says and holds his hand out to her.

"Good afternoon," she says and shakes what looks like a firm, but not too tight handshake.

"I hope your journey was pleasant." Tony says as he sits down and motions to the chair across from him. "I was thinking Nora would stay in the room, would that make you more comfortable?"

She shrugs, just like we'd hoped. "Whatever.  I don't care either way but it's probably a good idea for someone like you."

Tony laughs.  "You have no idea how many lawsuits it's saved me from. Would you like something to drink?"

"I'm fine." she says, "your tower looks nice."

"It should," Tony says with a teasing voice, "after all the money I spent, it would be embarrassing if it didn't look good."

She laughs.  "True, but I've seen enough that I think a budget makes your taste better."

"Maybe I should look into that, were we inconveniencing you too much when I asked for a meeting? To be honest, I didn't expect such a quick response."

Piper smiles. "Two of my friends from camp moved out here when Annabeth went to college, so I was already coming out. It wasn't really an issue to stop by on the way. She's doing some sort of architecture thing for you."

"Coming out as what?" Tony says and Natasha sighs.

"Returning to the point of talking, what did you want to know?" Piper asks, refusing to be distracted.

"How do you handle the fame?" Tony says.

"It's just always been there, I'm just used to it I guess." she thinks and both of them give her space.  So far she's been pretty open with us, maybe this will actually be useful. "Just try and keep away from the press. I love surfing with my dad, so he always makes sure that there's no way for them to get close while we're out. And be careful when you choose their name, speaking from experience other kids will find a way to make fun of it no matter what, but it's best to try and make it hard for them. Or I guess you could make there be one obvious one and try and make it not hurt them but that could be hard. And make sure that they have good friends, they'll need a lot of support. But the main thing is to be there for them. Make sure that you're making time to talk to them, don't push them off onto your assistants or anything. Your kid is going to need to know you are there for them. And if you're close with a second parent, don't leave it all to them."

"Am I right in saying you don't know your mother?" Tony asks.  I sit up straighter, this is the actually important part.

"Yeah, why?"