Loki - Dead People

"You're back early," I remarked, looking at Loki over the rim of my coffee mug. The steam from the hot liquid warming my face. "I thought you'd be gone at least another day."

"That was the plan, but what can I say, darling? I missed you too much." He sarcastically replied. He was leaned against the kitchen counter, eyes seeming to stare into my soul.

I couldn't help but glance curiously at him. Loki and I have never been the closest,  so the fact that he was choosing to be in my presence was a little strange to me.

"Where are the others? I haven't seen them around the compound yet." I tore my gaze away from him and looked towards the daily crossword on the table in front of me.

"How should I know? I'm not their keepers." His answer was defensive and he began to pace the room.

"Is something the matter, Loki?" My brows furrowed in worry. Something just felt wrong.

He didn't answer me. He just stared at me with a sadness in his eyes that I struggled to decipher.

Suddenly my phone rang, pulling my gaze away from Lokis. I looked at the caller ID to see Thors name in all caps with the lightning emoji next to his name.

"Hello?" I answered, still watching Loki as he took a seat beside me and pulled the crossword puzzle towards himself.

"(Y/n)," His voice was raspy and it sounded like he had been crying, "we're on our way back to the compound."

"Okay?" I mumbled in confusion. They've never made it a priority to call me and tell me they were on their way back before. "Wait, y'all aren't back yet?"

Loki carefully avoided my gaze, starring at the clues on the news paper. If they weren't back yet then how was Loki sitting in front of me?

My eyes began to water at the realization.

"Thor. Did Loki come back early?" My voice cracked and I felt my lips tremble. There was a painful silence on the line. "Thor?"

"Have you seen Loki? I need to know." His voice was watery and I knew he was trying to hold back the tears.

"He's sitting right in front of me," I whispered. "Now, please, tell me. Did Loki get sent home early."

I would have a preferred a deafening silence over the heartbreaking sob that erupted from Thors chest. I could hear his cries as he tried to take a deep breath in and compose himself.

I could hear the gentle voice of Wanda sending him comforting words in the background.

"No. He didn't." 

"I -" I want sure how to respond, "I have to go. I'll see you when you get back."

I slowly placed my phone on the table as I stared at Loki in disbelief. He continued to avoid my gaze as his eyes scanned the crossword puzzle.

"You need to cross over, Loki. You need to enter Valhalla." I whispered, placing my hand on top of his.

"No," he finally looked up to me, "I don't think I will."

"I wish you had told me. Instead of letting me sit here like a fool. Talking to you as if were just any other day."

Even as a spirit he was strong. Able to disguise his appearance; hide his cause of death. Even now, with the knowledge of his death, I second guessed myself. I can usually sense a spirit as soon as they are within speaking distance of me. Clearly, Loki was able to bring some of his magic into the afterlife with him. 

"I just wanted to have a moment longer, a moment to feel alive again." His confession was soft spoken. His eyes staring at my hand atop his.

"Why will you not cross over? You deserve peace."

"Would it be so terrible? For me to accompany you through life? To help you in protecting the world?" Tears welled up in his eyes.

"It would not be that easy for you, love. No one will ever be able to hear you. To see you. To appreciate you. It might drive you mad." I warned him of the cons of staying.

"You're saying I can't make ghost friends?" He rolled his eyes, challenging me.

"You know I don't like that term. You are a spirit. Not a ghost." I lectured. "And besides. I'd you did they wouldn't stick around for long. I'm usually pretty good at convincing them to cross over."

"Then your friendship should be enough."

"We were never friends in the first place, Loki. Acquaintances at most."

I knew my words were harsh, but I had to say them. Loki won't be happy if he stays. I know this and deep down he must as well.

"Loki, I don't want you to be miserable." I confessed, holding his hand with mine. "Nothing but greatness awaits you beyond the light. This I can promise you."

"What if I were to tell you there was no light awaiting me?" He whispered, oh so quietly.

"What do you mean? Is there a darkness?" I asked in worry, worry that he had not earned his right into a peaceful afterlife.

"Nothing. There is nothing that calls my name." He lied, staring her in the eyes. The light beckoned him from above. Begging him to rest.

She stared at him I disbelief. She had never met a spirit whose afterlife remained unknown.

"We'll figure it out." She brought her palm to rest on his cheek, "and until we do, I will gladly accept your company in life."

Tears of relief escaped Lokis eyes, knowing that she could banish him had she truly not wanted his company. He knew it was wrong to lie, especially to someone as pure as (Y/n), but he had. He had just been reunited with his brother, and he would not so easily be separated again.