Steve Rogers - Bucky Barnes - His Muse (Pt. 10)

The energy in the house was strange, for lack of a better word. It seems like Bucky and Steve aren't sure how to interact around each other when they're not best friends. I catch them in moments of nostalgia and camaraderie, yet the moment they realize what's happening they tense and withdraw back into themselves. I pretend not to notice, instead I bask in the fact that I have both of them present. As if this is what I've wanted all along. 

Bucky seems to always want me within his grasp, always touching me in some shape or form. Whether it be pulling my feet onto his lap while on the couch or wrapping his arms around my waist while I do the dishes. In these moments I share a look with Steve. A look that I hope sends a sense of longing. As if id rather be in his arms instead. 

Steve has been here for three days now. A much longer stay than either I or Bucky had anticipated. I'm surprised at how civil he's been. He spends most of his time sketching me, and I hate the warmth I feel in my stomach every time he does. Steve had always placed me on a pedestal, truly treating me like a goddess. A goddess that he kept in shackles. That's the part I need to remember. The shackles. 

In this moment I'm curled up on the couch, reading one of my books. I can her Bucky typing away on his laptop, he must be extra inspired today. Steve sits on the floor, leaning against chair across the couch, with sketchbook in hand. Frodo is curled up in his lap and I can hear the purring from here. I glanced up at him for just a moment. The same moment he looked from the paper to me. We seemed to enter a short staring a contest, blush covering may cheeks as a small smile grew on his. 

The sound of Bucky's phone ringing breaks us from our trance. Steve looked in his direction as released a short giggle before returning my attention to my book. My eyes ran over the words but my mind processed none of them as Bucky's voice carried throughout the apartment. 'Today?' he said as I heard him begin to pace. 'For how long?' The closet door was slung open and something was slung onto the bed. 

Finally, I dropped my book into my lap and peaked over the back of the couch. He was throwing some clothes into a suitcase. He still held his cell phone to his ear and was muttering something under his breath. I looked to Steve who was also watching the scene unfold in front of us with furrowed eyebrows. When The call eventually ends Bucky shoves the device in his pocket before joining us in the living room. 

"Umm, my publisher just called. I have to go to Boston for a meeting." Bucky said, running a hand through his hair. "Apparently the company is under new ownership, a surprise to everyone, and they're dropping people like flys. There's a good chance they'll keep me, but it's better to go and defend myself in person."

"Oh, I'm sorry baby, that sounds so stressful," I cooed, reaching over to grab his hand. On the inside I'm panicking. This was not part of the plan. 

"It's all gonna be okay, baby love. I promise." He grabbed my hand, placing a kiss onto it. "Umm, Steve? Would you mind staying here? Keeping an eye on our girl"

That surprised me. His complete distrust in Steve has been clear since the day that he arrived. This is a big stepping stone for him, as well as an amazing opportunity for me. This could easily allow for a faster escape. 

"Of course, Bucky. Anything for my Angel," Steve responded, almost a little too quickly. Bucky didn't notice though, too caught up in his own stress. He only nods in response before going back to the bedroom to finish packing his suitcase. Steve and I share a short look before I'm hopping off of the couch and going to the bathroom. I put Bucky's toiletries in a bag and then take them to him, placing the bag by his suitcase. 

"You promise you'll behave?" Bucky asked with a playful smile.

"I always do," I giggled. Without warning Bucky kissed me, slamming his lips onto my own. I gasped into his mouth as his teeth nipped at my bottom lip, a taste of blood hitting my tongue. I moaned, whether of pain or pleasure I wasn't sure, and I wrapped my arms around his neck as he pulled me closer into his body. I'd been kissed many times by this man, as well as Steve, and neither of them had kissed me like this in the entire time I was held captive. It had never been this hungry. This desperate. It worried me. 

"I'll be back in a week," he promised, pulling away from me. I tried to catch my breath as I nodded, his forehead resting against my own. He placed one last kiss on my hairline and then stepped away, grabbing his bags. 

Steve followed him out the car. They were out there for more than termites, asking about what? I could only guess. I sat at the kitchen counter, chewing my nails. I could only see their shadows through the door. The not knowing making my anxiety flare. 

After what felt like an eternity, Steve stepped into the house, a wide smile painted across his face. Slowly he walked over to me and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a bear hug. 

"Our chance is so close I can taste it," he whispered into my ear. 

"We have to be careful, Stevie," I whispered in return, "there are cameras throughout the entire house." There was a pause in conversation as I knew he was taking in his surroundings. trying to spot the cameras. 

"I guess we'll be spending a lot of time outside then. Besides, it never feels like a waste of time when I get another chance to paint you." He pulled away from the hug, reaching his hand up to stroke my cheeks. "We have a couple of days to wait anyways. We need to make sure he's in Boston before we take our chance."

Sure, Boston is definitely not as far as Europe was when Bucky took me from the high rise studio, but it's far enough for my plan to work. 

Now, the first step is getting this anklet off. A task I will be leaving to my sweet Stevie.

A/N: Only two more parts for this series! I am considering removing this series from the imagines book and going it a book of it's own, yet I am undecided. Would love to know your thoughts on that!

Also quick reminder to check out my ao3 under the same user name! I have been posting His Muse as well as another story that I would love for y'all to check out! I've also been thinking of reworking To Be Seen into a longer version which I would post there. 

Happy reading!