Loki - Soulmate AU

In a world of more than eight billion people it can be difficult to meet your soulmate. It only got worse once people started getting soulmates from other galaxies.

The difficulty of finding your soulmate forced us to evolve. Instead of only having a matching mark that could fall anywhere on a person's body, soulmates were also given little ways to communicate with each other.

Some could project thoughts to their soulmate. Some could share writings on their skin. There seemed to be an endless amount of ways for soulmates to connect over the last century.

I might be biased but I find my soulmate and I to have the best form of communication. Almost every night I would go to sleep to find him in my dreams.

The only problem, he won't tell me how to find him.

I'd told him everything about me. I'd given him in depth details about my life and how to get to me.

Of course, the day I woke to find him on the news and taking over the city of New York I was able to understand his secrets, but surprised that didn't stop me from being with him.

I have no idea where he is now. Thor, his brother, took him to Asgard and I never saw him here on earth again. He tells me he's safe but I'm not sure if I should believe him.

"You seem fond of that song," he says, walking up behind me. "You're always humming it."

"It reminds me of you," I responded, though my gaze stayed on the waterfall in front of me.

This was a common location for our dreams. I'm not sure if it's even real, but we almost always found ourselves on this towering cliff, looking over a beautiful waterfall.

"I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream." I looked up at him, singing softly. "I know you, that gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam."

A wide smile crossed his face as he pulled me to him and began to lead me in a dance. It was a simple dance, but I felt like a princess as he twirled me.

I continued to sing for us, trying to stop the giggles and laughs from escaping when I stepped on his toes.

"But if I know you, I know what you'll do,
you'll love me at once, the way you did once upon a dream."

We slowed to a stop as the words finally dyed out. He looked soft as he smiled down at me with his green eyes twinkling.

"Will you ever love me outside of a dream, Loki?" I asked, trying to keep the hope from building in my chest.

"I wish I could," he whispered. "But I can't. If I were to, it would only be a matter of time before you got hurt."

"I don't care if I get hurt! As long as I'm with you!" I was practically begging as a single tear fell from my eye.

"I would never forgive myself, Darling." His thumb stroked my cheek, wiping the tears away.

I couldn't bring myself to respond. I could only shake my head as I buried my face into his chest. Whether it was me or him being selfish I couldn't tell you. All I know is that I want to wake up in his arms rather than waking up with only the ghost of his touch.

We sat in the soft grass, arms wrapped around each other. His hands rubbed my back reassuringly as I sobbed into his chest.

"Just for a day! I would do anything for even just a day with you!" I begged, kissing his face.

"I can't, sweetness. I'm so sorry."

I sat on my knees, letting my lips roam his face. They started on his forehead, slowly making their way down his nose, to his cheek, to his chin, and ending at the corner of his mouth. He turned, trying to catch my lips with his own. I quickly pulled away, causing his lips to my own cheek.

"If you want a kiss you'll have to come find me."

And within the next blink I was no longer sitting in the grass by our overlook. Instead I was curled up in my bed, wrapped in the soft, warm sheets.

The events of my dream lingered in my mind as my body stretched itself, feeling my bones pop. A long yawn left my lips and I couldn't help the smile that grew on my face. Cozy mornings like this are my favorite.

I cuddled back into my pillow, staring out the window when a loud and sudden knock echoed through my apartment.

My eyebrows furrowed as I looked at my phone, surprised anyone would be visiting so early in the morning.

The knock echoed again, this time with more knocks to follow. Whoever it is seems to be impatient.

I pulled myself from the comfort of my bed and slid on my slippers before pulling a bathrobe over my pajamas. I pushed myself through my apartment, hands rubbing my eyes, before finally reaching the door. I noisily pulled the chain lock from the door and turned the two deadbolts from their place, slinging the door open.

There in front of me stood my Loki, with a mischievous grin on his face.

"That was a sneaky move, Sweetness," he growled, pushing his way into my apartment and slamming my door shut. "I sat there for a full minute before I realized what you did. You think I could go a single night without a kiss from you?"

"Well, I didn't think it would bring you to me this quickly!" I squealed as he picked me up, my legs wrapping around his torso. He walked us to the living room and dropped us on the couch with me stradding his waist.

"You've been begging for me for months, but I never thought you would take away the one thing that got me through the day. Those sweet kisses." He finally locked his lips with mine, pulling me into a passionate kiss.

I finally had him here, right in front of me. I could feel his love pouring out of him.

He loved me at once, the way he did once upon a dream.