Steve Rogers - Another Blind Date

Pre-Serum!Steve aka my one true love

I tapped my foot in annoyance as we stood outside the theater in the bitter wind. Francine had begged me, almost on her knees, to go on this double date with her. Apparently the boy wouldn't go out tonight unless she brought someone along for his friend. That someone being me apparently.

Franny, to no one's surprise, has the worst taste in men of anyone I'd ever met. She's dated men who care about nothing but looks, vain men who only spoke about themselves, and dangerous men who think the world owes them something just for being a man.

So you can imagine my reasons for denial upon her request for me to join her. She told me this one was different. She said it with so much earnest that I finally agreed. Now that we've been standing outside the theater for fifteen minutes though, I'm starting to question her.

"They'll be here. I just know it." Her sad tone made me desperately hope she was right. I've never seen her this way over a boy before.

"Five more minutes before we go in without them. The movie is supposed to start soon." I agreed, teeth chattering as a strong gust of wind blew through.

Just I raised my watch to look at the time voice called out.

"Ladies! Excuse our tardiness!" A tall man jogged to us, a wide smile with his dark hair slicked back. He stopped beside us, sliding an arm around Frannys waist and kissing her cheek. "Someone decided to start a fight with someone twice his size." He pointedly glanced behind him where a smaller man was following with a much slower pace.

Starting a fight? Great. Just what I need. A toxic man who thinks he can get anything he wants with the swing of his fists.

The man walks up with no response, just shaking his head at the ground. His blonde hair covered his eyes but I could see a purple bruise swelling on his cheek.

"I'm Bucky! This is Steve." Frannys date introduced them.

"A fight?" Is all I muttered in response, looking at the two with a tight lipped smile.

The smile on Buckys face dropped as he quickly shook his head in assurance.

"Well, he didn't pick it just to pick it! Steve here just doesn't like bullies." He defended.

"The guy was kicking a stray dog around. He thought it was funny." Steve muttered. "When he wouldn't stop I couldn't stop myself."

My heart softened at the explanation. Mad at myself for jumping to conclusions.

I couldn't stop myself from reaching forward and pushing his head up. My eyes roamed his bruised cheek, finding another bruise just above his eyebrow. He flinched as my thumb softly brushed the swelling skin.

"Are you sure you're okay? It's okay if you need to raincheck." I said, finally letting go of his face.

"This ain't his first experience with a bruised face. The punk will be fine." Bucky laughed, dropping a heavy hand on Steve's shoulder. The brunette looked at me with a glint in eye that I didn't recognize. "Now let's get you girls inside! You must be freezing! Plus, the movies about to start!"

Steve and I walked behind Bucky and Franny. She clung to his arm as he whispered something in her ear. She glanced back at us before giggling and leaning up to whisper back to him.

I looked at Steve for a moment before finally speaking my name to him.

"What? He asked turning to look at me.

I repeated my name with a small smile, wrapping my arms around my body. "I never introduced myself earlier."

"Oh," he whispered, "nice to meet you."