The Perfect Soldier

Y/N felt the panic and trauma hit her like a tonne of bricks, it was as if she was right back in that SHIELD lab on the day her world had been shattered, as she looked at Lexa. When they had left for the mission, Y/N had been so focused on Wanda, that it hadn't crossed her mind that Lexa could have been the one behind this. 

The fighting was still in full swing around them but it all faded from Y/N's mind as she stood there. She'd never expected to see those blue eyes again or hear her voice. Y/N hated her but Lexa had been her first love, she couldn't forget that even though she had tried so hard to for the last two years to do so. 

"Nothing to say? That's very unlike you, Y/N" Lexa moved like a lioness stalking her prey around Y/N, forcing Y/N further away from the others.

"What are you doing here?" Y/N managed to find the courage to speak, her hands trembling at her side as she watched Lexa move.

"That's a good question, but isn't it obvious? I did this so I could see you" Lexa replied a fake smile pulling at the edges of her lips.

"You were doing such a good job at remaining off the grid until you decided you join the avengers, Y/N. Then falling for the red head, it just made it too much easier to pull yours and the others strings. I knew you'd come running to find her, always so noble and true aren't you." The wicked smile grew on Lexa's face as she taunted Y/N.

Y/N tensed as Lexa moved in closer to her. She wanted to turn and run but fear had her stuck to the spot. She knew all too well what Lexa was capable of, there had been a number of reasons she'd been SHIELDS go to agent, even above Nat. Lexa was truly deadly.

"What's the real reason?" Y/N asked, trying to keep Lexa talking in the hopes that one of the others would notice the situation she was trapped in.

"Well Y/N the original mission wasn't a success two years ago and now I need to correct that failure" Lexa shrugged before drawing the gun holstered at her side and aiming it at Y/N.

Y/N's eyes went wide as she stared at the gun now pointed at her. She had been here before, Lexa had stood over her in the lab that day gun aimed at her, but the shot had never come. No instead Y/N had been left there and plagued by nightmares ever since. Y/N felt the tears pool in her eyes as she realised there was so much she hadn't said or done and now she may never get the chance. 

Moving with inhuman speed Lexa, closed the distance between them and slammed the butt of the gun against the side of Y/N's head, sending her crashing to the ground unconscious. Blood trickled from the area of impact.

Lexa holstered the gun, staring down at Y/N a slight nagging feeling that this was wrong but as quickly as the thought came it disappeared as she remembered this was the mission. There was no room for emotions or errors, the consequences would be severe if Lexa failed again. 

"Asset is now secured. Follow the extraction protocol" Lexa conveyed the message over comms as she lent down and picked up Y/N from the ground.

"Do we bring back Maximoff?" One of the other agents asked.

"No she's played her part leave her to distract the others" Lexa said, pleased that the decoy had worked perfectly. The other avengers were too distracted to notice that Y/N was being taken. 

"Get the jet ready to lift" Lexa ordered as she started making her way back to the hanger with Y/N.

**

Wanda sent more blasts of energy out, one finding its target and sending Sam crashing to the ground as he attempted to get close to her. Her mind felt like it was being torn in a thousand different directions as she fought, she had the overwhelming sense that this was all wrong but Wanda couldn't stop herself. 

"Can anyone please explain what the hell has happened to Wanda?!" Bucky shouted as he slammed his fist into an agents face whilst making his way over to check on Sam.

"Whatever they've done, that is not our Wanda" Nat responded as she to took out another agent with a swift round house kick.

"Keep her distracted, I'm up top" Clint motioned from the vantage point he'd reached on the roof of one of the nearby buildings. 

"Distraction coming up" Tony answered as he aimed and fired flare rounds from his suit at the ground  around Wanda.

Clint took the shot and the stun arrow found its target hitting a Wanda square in the back. It stopped her just as she went to sent another wave of power in the direction of the others. 

Wanda felt her muscles spasm as the electric charge went through her, forcing her down to the ground. The others moved in, Nat and Steve being the first to reach her.

"We're sorry about this Wanda" Steve sighed as he pulled out the power dampening device that Stark had created and slipped it onto Wanda's wrist like a set of handcuffs.

"Hey, has anyone seen Y/N? Weren't they supposed to be with you Nat?" Tony asked as he landed next to them, his helmet opening as he looked around for Y/N.

Nat's eyes went wide realising that amongst all the commotion and fighting she had lost track of Y/N. Her focus has been fully on stopping Wanda. She'd thought Y/N was fighting with them.

"Shit" Nat was back up on her feet leaving Steve to keep hold of Wanda.

"Guys they've stopped shooting at us" Bucky said looking around confused at the sudden lack of gun shots and fighting.

The sound of a jets engines starting drew all of their attention to the hanger. Nat spotted Y/N being carried onto the jet by a female agent and straight away she knew who it was and the danger that Y/N was in. Nat couldn't believe that in the struggle to get one friend back, she was now losing another.

"They've got Y/N. Damn it Wanda was never the target!" Nat shouted in frustration as she watched the ramp closing on the HYDRA jet, it was already moving to take off.

Before they could react the jet was out of the hanger and lifting off the ground. Gun shots started flying at them again as the agents that were left on the ground provided the jet cover to get out.

"We need to move out of here now" Tony said urgency in his tone as the jet turned in the air, its guns adjusting to target them.

They moved quickly, Steve carrying Wanda and everyone else covering his back as they ran. A hail of heavy fire raining down on them from the enemy jet.

**

"That's enough, they're running. Let them go. We need to get the asset to the safe house" Lexa instructed the pilot, watching as the avengers retreated.

The mission had gone better than expected though Lexa had hoped to keep hold of Maximoff for a little while longer. It was worth the loss, they had the higher priority asset in their hands and now the avengers would be distracted dealing with Wanda.

She turned to look at Y/N who was chained to one of the seats in the jet, still unconscious from the blow Lexa had dealt her. There wasn't another scientist that could complete the work required, none of the HYDRA scientists had the knowledge that Y/N had. She was a genius in her field.

That was why the orders had come to Lexa to get Y/N after her failure to do so before. HYDRA needed Y/N to complete their plans for creating weapons from the alien world materials they had obtained.

Lexa rubbed the back of her neck, her fingers brushing against the small metal disc there. It was the reason she couldn't recall any of the feelings she'd once had for Y/N or disobey any orders that were given to her. All that drove her now was the need to complete the missions. She was the perfect solider to HYDRA.