~22~

A/N sorry for the longer wait, i'm kind of losing interest in this story, but i will finish it!
• • •

You and Zuko had taken one of the war balloons and sailed across the skies towards the western air temple.

"Wow," You breathed. The temple was beautiful, unlike anything you've ever seen.

Zuko tapped your shoulder, turning your attention to the flying vision that was making its way to the temple. He landed the ballon and threw down a rope so the two of you could climb down. The Avatar and his friends landed farther away from you, exploring the temple.

"You think we should go over," You asked.

"No," Zuko said, "We need to practice what to say."

***

"Hello, Zuko here, but I guess you probably already knew that," You groaned as your brother tried (and failed) to form an apology, "Uhhh... so the thing is, I have a lot of firebending experience, and I'm considered to be pretty good at it. Well, you've seen me, you know, when I was attacking you. Uhh... yeah, I guess I should apologize for that. But anyway, I'm good now, well I thought I was good before, but now I realize I was bad... anyway, I think it's time I joined your group and taught the Avatar firebending."

He turned to you, "How was that?"

"Absolutely horrible."

He glared at you, kicking some dust up in frustration.
"I'd like to see you do better."

"Okay," You grinned at him, "Hello, you may remember me, I did try to kill you a couple times, but that's all in the past! I've realized that what I was doing was wrong, and that my father was manipulating me into doing his biding. I know it's hard to believe, but I've changed, and so has my brother. We want to help teacher the Avatar firebending, if you'll let us."

You looked back at Zuko, a smug smile on your face as he muttered something under his breath.

"Okay fine," He said, "We'll go with yours."

***

You walked towards the group as you heard one of them say "I think that'll have to wait." They all turned around to face you and Zuko as you both awkward lot waved.

"Hello," You said, gosh this was harder than before.

They prepared to attack, getting all their weapons out, but you held up a hand and spoke cautiously.

"We aren't here to fight, we just heard you guys flying around down here and decided to...drop by." They looked at you, confused, as you willed yourself to shut up.

"I know you're probably surprised to see us here," Zuko said.

"Not really, since you've followed us all over the world."

"Right. Well, uhhh ... anyway ... what I wanted to say was that we've changed," Zuko said lamely as you glared at him. He was messing it up, "And uhhh, We're good now, and well I think we should join your group, oh, and I can teach firebending to you." He directed the last part to the Avatar.

"You want to what now?"

"You can't possibly think that any of us would trust you guys, can you? I mean, how stupid do you think we are!"

"Yeah, all you've ever done is hunt us down and try to capture Aang!"

"We've done some good things," You said, trying to help your brother out.

"I could have stolen your bison in Ba Sing Se, but I set him free. That's something," Zuko suggested and you mentally facepalmed, he was not good at this.

"Appa does seem to like him," One of them said, glancing at the bison.

"He probably just covered himself in honey or something so that Appa would lick him. I'm not buying it," Another scoffed.

"I can understand why you wouldn't trust us," Zuko said, "And I know we've made some mistakes in the past-"

"Like when you attacked our village?"

"Or when you stole my mother's necklace and used it to track us down and capture us?"

"Or when your sisters and their friends tried to kill us?"

"Look, I admit I've some awful things," You said, "We were wrong to try to capture you, and I'm sorry that I let Azula try to kill you."

Zuko spoke up, "And I never should have sent that Fire Nation assassin after you."

"Wait, you sent Combustion Man after us?"

"Well," Zuko said awkwardly, "That's not his name."

"Ohhh, sorry. I didn't mean to insult your friend!"

"He's not my friend!"

"That guy locked me and Katara in jail!"

Zuko turned to the Avatar, "Why aren't you saying anything? You once said you thought we could be friends. You know I have good in me."

He looked at his friends, and for a second you thought he was going to defend you.

"There's no way we can trust you after everything you've done. We'll never let you join us."

"You need to get out of here. Now."

"We're trying to explain to you that we've changed," You said angrily.

"Either you leave or we attack you."

"If you won't accept us as friends, then maybe you'll take us as prisoners," Zuko said, kneeling in front of them. You shot him a glare, now way was he offering you up as a prisoner.

"No, we won't! Get out of here, and don't come back! And if we ever see you again, well....we'd better not see you again!"

The two of you left, sulking back up to your makeshift campsite.

"Uggh! I can't believe how stupid I am! I mean, what was I thinking? Telling them I sent an assassin after them? Why didn't I just say Azula did that? They would have believed that! Stupid!"

"Yeah, you're right," You said, "You are pretty stupid."