~24~

a/n #lettophswear2k21

***

The first member of the gaang, as they were calling themselves, you talked to was Toph—the earthbender. It was a day after you and Zuko had been allowed into the group, and you were getting breakfast when they cornered you.

"Hey," You said nervously, fully aware that she could kill you on the spot.

"Relax, I can feel your heart beating a mile a minute, I just want to talk."

"What is it?"

"I never properly introduced myself, I'm Toph Beifong, the best earthbender there is."

"So I've heard."

"I'd also appreciate if you could use they/them pronouns for me, as well as she/her."

She seemed shy about telling you this, a distinct change from the confident side she was showing before, and you completely understood. Back in the Fire Nation you couldn't tell anybody about your feelings for girls as well as boys. They would've had every right to kill you—your own father probably would've done it himself.

You offered Toph a smile, though realize too late that they couldn't see it.

"Sure thing," You said and noticed their shoulders get less tense when you spoke. "I understand what it's like, you know, to be different. So if you ever want to talk, I'll listen."

"Thanks," They said, then punched you in the arm.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"That's how I show affection."

"Oh, we'll in that case," You said, offering a light punch back, and they laughed which made you smile. It was nice to know at least one person trusted you enough to laugh around you—to be normal around you.

"I'll see you 'round then," You said, stepping away. "I've got to go help my brother teach the Avata—err, um, Aang." It was difficult to get used to calling him by his actual name.

Toph nodded and left, as you made your way over to Zuko. You could already see him talking to Aang, you could hear him too, he was yelling. 

"Zuko," You said as you approached. "I'm not sure that's a good way to get your point across."

Aang waved at you as you stood next to your brother and you offered a shy wave back.

"What do you want me to do," Zuko said, frustrated.

You sighed, "Let me take it from here. Aang, firebending can be dangerous, you've seen that danger many times before, but it doesn't have to be that way. Firebending is about control, just like any other element. You must control your breath and extend it through your body, turning it into fire."You finished off you explanation with a burst of fire.

Zuko looked at you with intrigue and you offered him a shrug. "I listen when Uncle talks sometimes."

"So," Zuko said to Aang. "Why don't you show us what you've got."

The Avatar nodded, taking a deep breath and getting into a sloppy stance before extending his arm, but only smoke came out. He gave a sheepish smile to you and Zuko as he righted himself.

"Your form is all wrong," You said, showing him the proper one. "Your legs weren't bent enough, and your footing was lose. Anyone could've knocked you over. Try again."

So he did.

But the same thing happened, no fire.

"Zuko, why don't you show him how it's done."