Chapter 11

(Tessa's POV)

We pack up more efficiently than the first time, everything that we own fills up a small space in the back of one truck. I find the size of our belongings pitiful, I hate living like this.

At least I have my family, and Noah. Ever since we got back together, we have been more insuperable than ever before. It is as if we need one another to survive.

After we pack up, we stuff ourselves within the trucks. I make sure that Noah is on one side of me, and Keri is on the other. I have to keep a close eye on her, for fear of what she would do. The only barrier between her and I is the gun in my waistband.

I feel the car hum to life and we begin another long journey. We drive to no end, and once again we have no set destination.

I watch as the miles stretch by, dirt road after dirt road, patches of trees lining a thin horizon. I sigh, and feel my eyelids pulling down over my tired eyes.

Slowly I fall into a restless sleep.
__________________________

"NO!" I scream, the sound is shrill and harsh. Tears stream down my face as I look into the dark pits that are Marcus's eyes. Electricity flows through me and tightens every muscle of my being, my grandfather just laughs.

I am back there, in the room where I was tortured. But this room is different, it's walls are now made of pure metal, and everything is chained down to the floor. Even my hands bear the heavy shackles that lock my hands down to the machine that tortures me so.

I cry a pained sob, and sweat makes my hair stick to my neck and forehead. "What do you want from me!" A harsh sound comes from my throat and can barely be made out as these words.

I cry some more, and try to focus on getting myself unchained. I stare hard at the chain attached to my right hand and watch it melt away into a small silver puddle on the icy ground.

I take in a sharp breath and focus all of my energy on melting the chains away. I shut my eyes tightly and slowly feel the weight of the shackles dissolve. Adrenaline hits me like bullet, and I leap towards Marcus.

His devilish laugh ceases suddenly, and just before my nails touch his throat I am awaken from my nightmare.

I look around with tired eyes, I am panting, and sweat makes everything from my hair to my clothing stick to my skin. Noah's strong arms wrap around my small frame, and Keri has a look of utter disgust on her face. My parents stare at me, and I register that the car is stopped.

"You were screaming in your sleep. Are you ok?" Noah hugs me tighter, as if his biceps will protect me from the rest of the world. I inhale the scent that I register as safety and lay my head on his chest.

"I am fine," I lie, "just a bad dream." I make an attempt at a shaky laugh that fools no one. They all turn around, and an uneasy sense fills the car.

Lynn (Uriah's other daughter for those who forgot), Emily, and Jason rest in the other truck with their parents. I sigh uneasily at the thought that I can't always be with everyone to protect them. I need to learn how to let go of my control, but at the same time, I feel it necessary to keep everyone safe. Even if that means sacrificing myself.

I think about what Marcus told me, how I need to spy on my family and friends or he will kill me. I look up at Noah, and around at part of our little group and decide that my life isn't worth risking everyone else's.

I enjoy the last look that I will ever have of them together. I have been given the option to save others lives, I have decided to accept my fate and take it. Our next stop will be my last. I shake at the thought of what torture lies ahead, and to maintain my focus on Noah's arms wrapped around me. At least I am safe, for now.

--------------------------------------------
Please comment and vote! I haven't updated in a while due to school, and many other factors. I have decided to write an original story (not for wattpad), and have been putting a lot of energy and focus into that. However, I have not forgotten about all of you amazing readers out there! I promise to update whenever I can. :-)