Chapter 16

Tris' POV

"Try to sleep.", I say as I lay next to him on the wet ground.

"Where could she be?", Tobias' voice strains with each word, as he looks up towards the sky. The canvas of night spreads over our little camp, as the last embers of our fire reflect the twinkling stars.

"She could be safe, she could be.", I attempt to reassure both him and myself.

"You and I both know better than to assume anyone's safety."

"But it is a possibility."

"I don't think she is out here."

"Where else could she have gone?"

"I don't know, I'll be back.", Tobias sits up, and I can't help but watch the thick muscles in his arms contract with the motion, his long, narrow fingers brush just against my cheek as he wanders off toward the rest of our sleeping group.

I try to think of something other than my daughters demise, but Tobias is right, no ones safety is assured in a world like this.

__________________________

Tobias' POV

I can't take the thoughts of torture and pain that come with Natalia's disappearance, and instead try and take a walk. The rest of the group sleeps scattered around the cars, although I highly doubt that they can actually fall asleep.

Still, I stifle the sound of my boots against the rigid leaves below me as I wander further into the night. Stopping, I here leaves crack behind me and instinctively swing back to pin the intruder against the nearest tree. The tall figure slams with a moan against a hard oak, in the dim moonlight I can make out Noah's face.

"What are you doing out here?", my words are harsh, instructing.

"I couldn't sleep, I figured I would walk around before I wake up the others.", he doesn't sound scared, his words display a confidence that reminds me of myself at a very young age. I don't like it.

"Go back.", I command, releasing him from my grasp.

"No.", he dares.

"Excuse me?", I say, my fingers twitch with an urge to knock some sense into his head.

"I am not going back, I can't keep facing them, I can't hear what they are saying anymore."

"What are they saying?", my curiosity gets the best of me.

"They are losing hope, in finding her, in finding.....", his words trail off, and I can vaguely see the pained look on his face.

"You really do care about her, don't you?", my voice softens slightly.

"I love her.", he states those three simple words with such meaning, it reminds me of when I lost Tris to the Erudite. I would take a bullet for her then, and I still would today.

"You know it's funny,", he continues, "when we were younger, I could have made other friends, joined this one group of boys would have probably picked on her, hurt her. But I just could never bring myself to be like that, because hurting her would be like hurting myself. Even after all of this, the time I got with her was worth it.".

"My daughter is lucky to have you, and maybe, maybe," I clap my hand to his back, "when we get her back, I will consider approving of your relationship.".

He chuckles, and together we walk.

---------------------------------------------
I would like to thank my Rebels so much for your patience, I have been very busy, but I knew that with Allegiant premiering today (and me seeing it today), I had to post. There is definitely more to come, please comment and vote!