Chapter 18

(Noah's POV)

Running into the woods, I can hear my mother call behind me. I don't care though, the only thing that matters is that the search for Tessa is ending, and that the only person who I thought could talk some sense into the group has given up on his own daughter.

"Noah, wait!", my mother yells.

"Why?", I call back, "So that you can tell me I need to face reality, so that you can tell me to just move on!".

"Just, stop!", I can hear her breathes grow unsteady, as her figure tires out.

For the sake of my mother, I stop. But I spare nothing in my words.

"Listen,", I say pointing a finger at her, "maybe all of you can forget and give up on her, but I won't. I don't care if I have to do it on my own, I am going to go find her, and you can't stop me.".

"Be as upset as you want, but you will show me respect.", she commands.

"What happened to the legendary stories I grew up hearing, of the women who dangled off the edge of a cavern, at the person who helped save Chicago. You ask for my respect as your son, but I can't respect a woman who could give up that easy. I won't admire someone willing to let Tessa die to save her own butt.".

I can see tears well up in her eyes, but years of training will them back. Silently, she walks back to the camp, returning minutes later with a backpack. "If you are going to do this, you might as well have some supplies on you. You would be surprised how far a few rations can go in a desperate situation. You are right, I can't stop you, but I at lest need to know you have a fighting chance.".

"Tell Dad, Emily, and Lynn that I will be back soon.", I say, the harshness in my voice is replaced with a mix of fear and determination.

"You better be.", she says.

---------------------------------------------

Please comment and vote!