IV - sticks and stones

Chapter Four - Sticks and Stones

─══─━══─⊱✠⊰─══━─══─

The sound of delicate glass shattering against the floor echoed through the room. Ezra's 'mother' gasped in surprise, the room freezing with her shock. "I guess some insects do come back to life." Said a man, looking a bit older than Ezra. He had the same jet-black hair as Ezra, but his eyes were a dark grey and, honestly, he appeared very dull. The original Ezra probably would have fumed at his comment, but the current owner of this body didn’t care. The fact that Ezra survived after allegedly being poisoned was a shock. Ezra assumed the whole family was in on it, judging by the shattered glass on the shiny floor.

Ezra's blank face was likely more surprising than his survival. He said nothing. The boy only bowed in respect and walked past his mother and elder brother. Although his mother stood staring straight ahead, his brother would not let this pass. "Did your teachers neglect to teach you manners, Ezra?" He spat, his voice dripping with venom. "Here, allow me to teach what they couldn't: your mother and elder brother deserve your respect."

Bored red eyes looked back at furious grey ones. Joshua, the eldest of the Kingston boys, had an extreme power complex. If he didn't get what he deserved, Hell would rise. Now was, supposedly, the time for Hell to arise. Ezra kept his eyes on the male, a look as old as death deep within those orbs. "You ask for manners even after you've called me an insect?" He mused, shoving his hands in his pockets. "As for her well, I don't think it matters what I say." Ezra's voice was calm while his words chilled Joshua to the bone. What had happened to the fiery little kid that'd yell at every insult!? Ezra took Joshua's silence as his answer and turned around, walking with a purpose.

~~Ezra~~

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit! H o l y  s h i t.

I clenched my shaking hands into fists and continued walking till no one was around. As soon as I was alone, I leaned heavily against the wall and exhaled deeply. What kind of family is this? First, I learned that I was poisoned through the maids, then I’m told my father wishes to see me (which gives me hella anxiety), and finally, I had to deal with a brother who thinks I'm nothing more than an insect! No wonder Ezra had such a temper, I mean, I knew his family was trash, but not this trashy. I hadn't even fully processed my situation!

I forced myself out of my thoughts and stood up straighter. Maybe some food will help. With my thoughts settled, I walked towards the dining room. I didn't know where it was, but it seemed engraved in this body.  I walked down unfamiliar halls, marveling at the stunning decor and art. In my past life, I wasn’t wealthy, which made it hard not to stare at everything. Every corner was spotless, the glass sparkled beautifully, and the artwork looked to be painted by Gods.

My feet carried me down an empty hallway, my eyes following the large portrait paintings along the wall. Each illustration depicted black-haired men, women, and children. Black hair is normal to me, so I don't fully understand the color's sacredness. The exterior doesn't define us as humans. A sudden impact sent me to the ground before I could take responsibility and look forward. My body wasn't exactly small, but whatever I hit made me feel very tiny. "Ow..." I mumbled, glancing up to see what I had crashed into.

A tall, dark-skinned man stared down at me with bored, black eyes. "Young master." He stated, gently fixing his butler uniform. "Are you alright?" His words sounded scripted… not an ounce of concern within them. Ezra probably would have this servant fired but, who would fire such a beautiful man? Dark chocolate skin, complimented by light brown eyes and brown, kinky hair. I was stunned! A man of this caliber was a servant? He could be a model! Am I drooling?

With an apprehensive nod, I covered my mouth with my fist, cleared my throat, and averted my eyes away from the man. I must've surprised him as the silence between us grew uncomfortable. Soon I found a large yet slender hand in front of me, offering to help me up. After returning to the man’s gaze, I stared at him for a few seconds. He was handsome... Realizing that I was staring, I flushed and took his hand. "Thank you," I muttered as I rose to my feet. I couldn't keep my eyes on the male. There was no way I could keep my eyes off of the male. He was tall, very handsome, and his cool exterior only added to his appeal!

"Young master... I suggest you go to your father. He has called for you." Those words froze my blood; straight into the belly of the beast. "Yes, my apologies for bumping into you," I said quickly before hurrying away, not wanting to get stuck in those chocolate eyes again. Later, I would regret catching the attention of the butler with a handsome face.

─══─━══─⊱✠⊰─══━─══─

UPDATED 10/22