XIII - nap deprivation

Chapter Thirteen - Nap Deprivation

─══─━══─⊱✠⊰─══━─══─

~~Ezra's POV~~

"Lady Davis!" Alexander's voice was like death's call. He was genuinely worried about the girl staring up at me in fear, but that's just it. He's worried about Luca Davis. You know, the girl that started my descent into hell. Originally I had no qualms against this chick. She was a good character in the book. But now that I am Ezra Kingston, something about her screams danger. Her slim body trembled as tears welled in her eyes... because? I know I didn't hurt her, at least she doesn't look hurt. I mean the girl is a bit short, she's not that far from the ground.

I suddenly couldn't move. The moment I tried to turn away and leave Luca to her slaves, an unfamiliar feeling flooded my body. It was icy and rigid, like I had suddenly gotten frostbite- but the pain hadn't reached me. I was stuck, staring at the trembling girl. "My lady, are you hurt anywhere?" Prince Alexander asked, crouching next to the girl. Reuben's face scrunched up in worry as he crouched next to Luca. "Lady Davis?" Ruben's gentle voice prompted another scoff from me. They were being swallowed up by her fake innocence! Call it jealousy or pure hate, but as a reader, Luca got it easy! It was frustrating.

My scoff caught the attention of the men surrounding the poor girl. Keon and Ruben glared at me as the princes, Alexander and Emilio, looked at me in surprise. Luca's influence over these boys made me uneasy, and I knew I was no match for her. "Ezra Kingston," Alexander voiced, his tone unusually emotionless. When he stood, my body regained consciousness causing me to step back, tensing as he spoke again. "What did you do to Lady Davis?" I remained silent, gritting my teeth as I glanced away. When my response never came, Keon spoke up, his deep voice sending a chill down my spine. "At least the trash knows to stay quiet now."

"What?" I snapped. Despite the glares, my chilled body, and the fear, I stood up for myself. "She bumped into me. I didn't do anything." This time I glared at Keon, flickering my gaze to Alexander before settling on the girl. "I apologize, Lady Davis." I forced out before turning on my heels, aiming to run away. However, before I could escape the main cast, someone grabbed my wrist, stopping me. I swiftly whipped my head back and moved to retrieve my hand, but the male's grip was firm. I looked up, annoyed and uncomfortable.

Emilio. My annoyance turned into confusion as the uncomfortable feeling turned into fear. Emilio was holding me hostage. Emilio, the male who was willing and capable of killing a man larger than him. "What?" I growled despite my body trembling. His eyes stared down at me as if I was a lab test that finally produced the reaction he wanted. I could hear my heart pounding in my chest. I was frozen still, unable to react as Emilio's gaze held me captive. I opened my mouth to snap again, but Luca's pathetic little voice stopped me. "H-he's right, I bumped into him. I wasn't paying attention." I watched as Alexander's eyes softened with pity while Ruben gently placed a hand on the girl's shoulder. Of course, they were coddling her.

When I glanced at Keon, I flinched and immediately looked away from him. He wasn't looking at Luca; his eyes were on me as if I'd somehow escape Emilio and attack 'Lady Davis'. My bowed head must have given Emilio the wrong impression as he squeezed my wrist tighter before suddenly letting go. I grimaced and cradled my wrist close to my chest as I looked back at the group, who now seemed to forget my existence... lovely. I only matter when the female lead is in distress. Forget the fact that she bumped into me and caused her own injuries. I could have paid more attention, but avoiding me is not that hard. The students at this hell hole of a school are adept at doing just that. They avoided talking to me, looking at me, or even acknowledging me. It was like I was a ghost. It's a talent to be able to pretend someone doesn't exist.

Assuming I had the right to walk away, I backed up and made my way to the dorms. My mind wandered to my previous, more appealing plans, but my lips grew heavy with a frown. I'm not sure a nap is on the agenda anymore, but I could try. For such a brief encounter I was beyond exhausted. And though it felt too easy to walk away, I'm not going to dwell on this moment of freedom. I've had my fair share of main characters today... Luca Davis in particular, so I'll take my chances of escape.

3rd POV

Obsidian. Shiny black obsidian.

It was the only thought that ran through Keon's mind. Ezra Kingston was the trash of the school yet, recently, his appearance captivated the white-haired male. But Keon wasn't the only one who noticed. Ezra had caught the attention of each male lead involved in his murder. Ezra was different. He was always different, but he wasn't acting like his usual insufferable self. He was acting like an adult with some patience: the complete opposite of the usual Ezra, and it shocked the few that took notice.

As Ruben watched the black-haired male walk away, he scowled, gritting his teeth. He had to live with Ezra. He had to greet those striking red eyes and that gorgeous face every day. Initially, before Ezra's arrival, Ruben had submitted a transfer of rooms within the dorms. His old roommate wasn't open to having such a prestigious mate, so Ruben took matters into his own hands. He requested an empty room, thinking no other students would suddenly show up and ruin his quiet sanctuary. However, he hadn't anticipated Ezra Kingston coming back to school. It was rumored that the boy had gotten himself kicked out. However, when the male stood in his room, bags near his feet, that rumor shattered to pieces, as did Reuben's sanctuary.

He hesitated to go to sleep on the first day. Ruben was told that Ezra sleepwalks and does indecent things to his roommates. However, when Ruben mustered up the courage to confront Ezra about this rumor, he found the older male sleeping as if it was just a normal school night. As if he was just another normal kid! The next morning, another rumor turned out to be false, and then another - one he was positive was true - also turned out to be false. In the three days the two had been roommates, Ruben's entire world shifted. Ezra wasn't like the rumors. He acted differently and confused Ruben's analytical mind.

Even now, he was confused: why did he look so scared when Emilio grabbed him? Ezra wasn't the type to show his fear, but those wide red orbs screamed out in true authentic terror. It was like seeing an animal in headlights: it seemed as though Ezra had been momentarily paralyzed by fear, unable to move or think. Ruben bit his tongue and focused on the gentle girl on the ground. She was more important than that freak.

~~~~~

Ezra had one thing on his mind after that whole fiasco: his bed. The fluffy texture was just an inch out of his reach! The boy felt tired just thinking about the warm blanket and smooth pillows. His slim legs moved swiftly through the dorm halls, the warm sun warming his body as he moved. Luckily Ezra was in good shape, so it wasn't a complete hassle to get to his room... but it felt like one.

As soon as the door was in sight, he sped up and swiftly opened it. The male hardly shut the door before stalking to bed. His day was fine until Luca's fanclub showed up and ruined it. The boy struggled to get out of his uniform - he tugged harshly at the tie around his neck as he pulled off the cloak. He now understood why some people kept their servants around them - this was annoying! Despite struggling with his clothes, he got the most annoying parts off and collapsed onto his bed.

The room was quiet. Aside from the soft white noise created by the building, it was blissfully silent. The boy soon fell into a deep sleep, one that allowed his whole being to relax. Sleep is a beautiful thing~

─══─━══─⊱✠⊰─══━─══─

UPDATED 03/2023