VI - crossroads academy

Chapter Six - Crossroads Academy

─══─━══─⊱✠⊰─══━─══─

In this world, cars, cell phones, and computers don't exist, but magic does. The ability to use magic is common, and your powers often depend on your origin. For example, the people of Bane have an affinity for shadows and time. Although time magic is rare, most of Bane's royalty have this affinity. The magic I possess is a mystery to me. My soul is home to a dragon, which gives me mythical power but, does that count?

My gaze flicked out the carriage window as the afternoon sky moved with life: watching birds has always captivated me. Something about their freedom entranced me… the freedom to fly and see the land from a new perspective. But even watching the birds wouldn't steady my worried heart.

Crossroads Academy. A neutral zone in this land where kids of all ethnicities and nationalities gathered to learn in diversity and peace. Well, that's what the school promotes. Frankly, it's just a playground for the super-rich and spoiled. After only a month of attending, the old Ezra was suspended. As a result, his reputation plummeted- granted, it had already been trash before he entered- and he found himself on the wrong side of the main characters. As a result, Ezra met an unfortunate death. And people wondered why he had such a foul disposition.

"Young master?" Tilly spoke up, pulling me away from my thoughts. She looked uneasy. After nagging me and dragging me back to my room, she packed me up and forced me into this carriage. The old Ezra would’ve had her executed for such behavior, but I didn’t care. She had a job to do. Ezra had attended the welcoming ceremony at Crossroads Academy, but he was poisoned and sent home to recover. Now, he- I was being dragged back to that bloody school. Because students lived on campus and were monitored by the teachers, I couldn’t hide away in my room. It's a nuisance, and I knew Tilly could feel my irritation. "What is it?" I asked blankly, earning a flinch from the girl.

"W-well... I wanted to apologize for being so forward and unprofessional with you..." She lowered her head, making me glance away. "I may not know you very well, young mast-"

"Ezra." I interrupted, my eyes skimming over the details of the carriage. Having her be all formal was annoying. In my other life, I was born a commoner, so it felt strange to be called master. I would like her to call me by my name, but here, my name is Ezra. Even then, I had a feeling she would try to maintain formalities, so I added to my statement. "Call me Ezra when no one important is around. It'll make me feel more comfortable."

I could tell Tilly was struggling with the idea of calling me Ezra and not young master. Honestly, I was just happy she had stopped talking. I like peaceful environments. As I gazed out the window, I tried to recall the events in the book that led to my demise, but things felt blurry, almost like pieces of the puzzle were missing. It was a good distraction - trying to figure out the missing details, but when my eyes caught the glow of the academy, my heart sank.

The towering stone walls acted as a gate, keeping unwanted guests out. The closer we got, the more nervous I felt. Beyond those walls awaited many unpleasant characters. My jaw clenched as I looked away from the window, preventing a nervous laugh from escaping. When the carriage stopped, I snapped my head up, compelling Tilly to speak. "Young master, are you alright? You seem rather jumpy." After a brief moment, the carriage moved again. I caught a glimpse of the guards that protected the school and shivered. "I'm not sure," I muttered, keeping my eyes away from the young woman.

I preoccupied my mind by counting the stitches on my very expensive-looking uniform. It was tedious and practically impossible, but it was better than watching as my last taste of freedom slipped away. When the carriage stopped for good, I slowly looked up. As the door opened, I swiftly glanced at Tilly before stepping out. My senses were greeted by the fresh, cool air of spring, and the bustle of students. Everything felt remarkably peaceful, yet I was anything but relaxed. The crowded environment overwhelmed me, the stares I was getting worsened my social anxiety, and I had, unfortunately, thought of the main protagonists who would ultimately take my life.

Tilly said something behind me, but it was so muffled that I could not hear it. As if on autopilot, I walked further into the city, my mind blank as I followed the path to the dorms within the academy. Crossroads Academy- a.k.a my burial site- is located in the middle of Norwich City, a supposed utopia. Due to the ban on carriages on city soil, residents had to walk everywhere unless they were royalty. I could pass as royalty, but I don’t need to be taxied around. 

"Young master?" A deep, soothing, yet familiar voice entered my ears, pulling me away from the crowd. Upon looking to the side, I found a chest blocking my vision. Slowly I glanced up and saw the butler from before, the one I had crashed into. His dark skin looked especially lovely in the sunlight, and I could hardly keep my eyes on him. "Y-yes?" I asked, accidentally stuttering. My stutter made the two servants look at me with concern, which only embarrassed me further. I quickly cleared my throat and spoke more confidently. "What is it?"

The butler respectfully lowered his head and spoke. "Where would you like to go first? Your friends are currently at the-'' I swiftly interrupted, glancing around. "The dorms. I wish to go to the dorms." I was nervous. Being out in the open with a crowd of strangers only increased my likelihood of an early death, and I still wanted to try the food in this world. When I looked back at Tilly and the butler, I received another look of confusion. I was acting out of character, but I did NOT want to be in this crowd anymore.

Tilly was the first to regain her composure. Smiling lightly, she picked up the smaller bag of mine and nodded. "Off to the dorms then!" She then took a step forward, and I swiftly followed her. The other servant, the man I had yet to learn the name of, followed right behind us, carrying the rest of my items. For now, I was lucky to be in the company of two very kind people, but I'm sure my luck will run out soon.

─══─━══─⊱✠⊰─══━─══─

UPDATED 11/22