making progress

05.10.19

It was Saturday and it was still only Natasha, Anna and Wanda in the compound. Today Natasha had planned for Agent May to spar with Anna, but the girl still wasn't at 100%. She had been refusing to spar with Natasha the past couple of days. She could either postpone, cancel or see what Anna says. Melinda May only spent so long on the ground between missions.

She heard a knock on her door at 7am. Natasha had told Anna this was the earliest she could come into her room, attempting to get the girl to sleep more. The knock woke Natasha from her sleep as she approached the door rubbing away the tiredness left in her eyes. She opened the door revealing Anna already in her workout gear. The girl seemed to always look tired, which Natasha had gotten used to after her spending a year here.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" Anna said as she examined Natasha's vest top and pyjama pants.
"I actually wanted to talk to you" Natasha replied, gesturing Anna into her room. Anna sat beside Natasha on her bed. "Okay, do you feel up to sparring someone who isn't me today?"
"Steve isn't here"
"You know when to stop Anna, we trust you, you just need to trust yourself"
"Just do the same thing I did with Maria?"
"Exactly, what do you say?"
"Do I have time to practice with you first?"
"Yeah she's gonna come by at 9"
"She's good?"
"Better than Maria, maybe even better than me. But dont't tell her I said that" Natasha said looking down at the girl with a smirk "I'll meet you in the training room, go warm up" Anna smiled at Natasha before leaving the room.

She was in the training room, punching the punching bag. All of her memories flashing through her mind as she continued to slam her fists against the red layer. Time seemed to pass in a haze which she was only pulled out of when the door opened. She slammed her fist into the bag once more, sending it a few metres away, before turning to wear she expected Natasha to be standing.

"Impressive" the seemingly muscular woman, with brown, almost black hair was standing in the doorway. So not Natasha.
"I-uhhh I'm sorry, Red didn't tell me your name" much like Maria, she didn't plan on giving this woman a nickname. She seemed as though she was in a position of power, so Anna opted against it.
"May, Melinda May, but you can call me May" she said sticking her hand out. Anna took a sharp intake of breath before shaking the hand. It was hard not to notice her hands trembling ever so slightly.
"Anastasia Nivokov, but I prefer Anna" they had now both retracted their hands.
"Nice to meet you Anna, Natasha said she would be down in a few minutes. Apparently I'm early, but I had nowhere else to be"
"Well, I'm gonna do something with this punching bag and broken chain"
"I'm going to go and run" Melinda said, before walking to the treadmill whilst Anna cleaned up the broken punching bag.

Natasha walked into the room to find two women with dark hair running on treadmills. They weren't next to each other, leaving a treadmill behind them. Anna instantly turned off her treadmill when she was able to hear the door open. May looked at the girl, feeling but not showing she was slightly confused, before turning to see the redhead stood by the door. Both women walked over to her.

"Romanoff"
"May" Natasha said, before smiling and pulling the woman 5 years older than her into a hug. Anna watched the action curiously. She had seen people doing it around the compound and always felt it looked uncomfortable, but people seemed to be comforted by it. "Okay so May, Anna hasn't done the whole sparring thing since she fought Maria, so we're gonna have a practice round and then you're gonna step in if that's okay?"
"All good, I can get a basis for how hard I should go"
"Don't go easy on her"
"Noted"

Anna and Natasha were stood on opposite sides of the training mat. She wasn't as nervous as she thought she would be, but that was hopefully the medication was working. "Do you guys want me to say start or?" May suggested
"Sure May, whenever your ready" Natasha replied, whilst Anna stood with her feet shoulder width apart.
"Start" May exclaimed, and both of the women commenced.

It took a few seconds for either of them to throw a punch. Both had been taught to never thought the first punch, and both were stubborn. Anna decided to start and threw a light punch, which she predicted Natasha would grab. Once she had, she used the grip to pull Natasha closer to her and sweep her legs out from under her, before she had a chance to throw Anna over her head.

Once on her knees, Natasha pulled one of Annas ankles from under her. The girl landed on her ass as Natasha stood back up. She rolled back before flipping herself up to a standing stance facing Natasha. She was getting bored, so let Natasha throw a punch before catching it and flipping her onto her back. She was quick to grab her shoulders but that left Natasha feet free. Natasha moved her legs and wrapped them around Annas waist. Anna had also hoped for this move. She knew she would be unable to get her legs restrained in time. Once Natasha's legs were wrapped around her waist. Anna dived over the girl, rolling onto the floor and simultaneously freeing herself from Natasha's grip.

Natasha was on her hands and knees as Anna turned back around to face her. She pulled one of Natasha's wrists before Natasha had a chance to stand up. This left the woman lying on her stomach as Anna proceeded to sit on her back and pin her wrists to the floor. "Okay, I fold" Natasha said, out of breath as the girl sat on top of her. She stood up and proceeded to help Natasha up as they both walked to way May stood on the edge of the mat.

"God Romanoff, that kid just kicked your ass"
"She was going easy on me" Natasha stated causing Anna to look down "Which is understandable, because I don't have a death wish" This caused May to laugh
"I mean, I did see her punch the red punching bag clean off, chain too" Natashas eyes widened slightly, Annas strength must still be growing like she had suggested "Ready to go a couple rounds Anna?"
"Yeah sure" Anna said as she walked to the training mat.

Anna and May stood across from each other. Anna had never fought this woman before, so unlike Natasha, couln't predict her moves. May was quick to drop to one knee and spin, trying to hit Annas ankles. Anna jumped over the legs and stood waiting for the woman's next move. Next was a serious of punches and block, Anna mostly playing the defensive angle.

After a while longer, Anna got bored and grabbed the woman's wrist flipping her over her head with ease. She knew the woman wouldn't stay down long, so turned to face her to watch her next move. She used her leg to try and kick her. Smart. Leg muscles are inevitably stronger. However, that doesn't stop Anna from grabbing her ankle. Once she had it, she flipped the older woman onto her back once more. Before she could get up fully, Anna sat on her thighs whilst grabbing her wrists. It was too much. They met eyes. This was too much.

She looked up to Natasha, keeping a hold of Mays wrists. Natasha took notice of the pleading look and said "Okay, thats enough guys" Anna let go of Mays list and stood up before helping her up. Once she was done, she walked back to her room in silence. Both woman watched her leave and Natasha decided to give her some time before checking on her later.

"Ummm is she okay?" May asked, pulling Natasha's sight from the door.
"She's had a bit of a hard week, she really wants to start field missions but she's not ready"
"You have a plan to get her ready?"
"She has weekly sessions with Nicole, and I'm beginning to have her spar with people that aren't me"
"So far you've done..."
"You and Hill, I plan on doing Hope, Daisy and Bobbi as well"
"What about men?" May asked, genuinely curious
"Gonna go for Steve and Bucky first, then Sam and try Tony out of suit. Hopefully it will be comparable to agents which aren't as highly trained"
"That all sounds like good plans"
"Yeah, then we just need to wait for clearance from Nicole" May nodded.

May stayed to have lunch with Wanda and Nat. Anna re-emerged from her room at 3, after May had already left and watched a movie with both Nat and Wanda. Although she appeared more tired, both women were happy to see her returning to her normal self.