6

Mirae walked to the front gates of the school, ready to go home. To her surprise she found Sunwoo at the front gates looking down at his phone. She looked at him in awe wondering how one can look so good just standing, mindlessly.

As if to sense that Mirae was looking at him, Sunwoo turns his head sending the girl a wave. She blushes and walks over to him.

"What are you doing here?"

"I was waiting for you." Sunwoo says putting his phone into the pocket of his pants adjusting his bag on his shoulder.

"You were waiting for me?"

"Yes, I was waiting for you, let's go I'll take you home." He replies walking away, chuckling as he finds the girl jogging up to catch up to him.

"So what'd you think of basketball practice?" Sunwoo asks looking down at the girl next to him.

"It's definitely A LOT different from athletics, that's for sure."

"Oh yeah, what's different?"

"Well first of it's outside, not inside, we compete individually and there's more equipments we use and a lot harder to pack up afterwards." Mirae shudders remembering all the times she's had to stay hours after training just to help pack up the equipments.

Sunwoo laughs at the girls unconscious silliness.

"I should come visit you when you're training."

"NO!" The boy looks at Mirae, startled as she stops looking right at him with wide eyes.

He CANNOT EVER see me all sweaty EVER!

"I mean... it's really boring like reaaaaaaaalllly boring, like sooooo boring even I fall asleep while training..." Mirae says, internally killing herself at the dumb excuse.

"Uh huh, right..." Sunwoo smirks, not believing a word and starts to walk again.

After a couple of minutes of walking they arrive at a small house.

"This is it." Mirae says, standing in front of Sunwoo, looking up at him as he observes the front of the building.

"It's cute." He smiles.

"Do you wanna come in?" She offers without thinking twice. "Wait, never mind, your probably tired after practice and probably want to go hom-"

"Yea I'll stay for a bit." Mirae's heart stopped as Sunwoo confidently walks towards the front door, Mirae quickly trailing behind, opening the door with the key and allowing the two of them to go in.

Sunwoo took his shoe off and walked in observing the simplicity of the house, the small couch and tv, the neat kitchen counter and small table and stools.

"Do you want something to drink?" Mirae awkwardly asks, throwing her bag on the couch as she notices the way Sunwoo was observing her house.

"Just water if that's okay." She nods and scurries off into the kitchen grabbing two glasses and filling them with water.

Sunwoo's attention was caught by a single frame on the wall, what he noticed as the only picture in the room as well.

A picture of two kids, smiling widely at the camera.

Mirae walked over and handed Sunwoo a glass as he mumbled a quick thank you before looking back at the photo.

"That's my brother and I, like 6 or 7 years ago."

"Where is he?" He asks looking around the room once again, stopping once he sees Mirae shaking her head.

"I live alone."

"Really? How come?" Sunwoo asks.

"Uhh well my brothers older than me so he's living at his uni's dorms." Mirae said as she looks up at Sunwoo.

"What about your parents?"

"... they live together in Seoul. I'm living here alone because I got a scholarship at our school." Mirae says hesitantly as Sunwoo nods.

Half of that was not false though. Her brother really did live in his uni's dorms and she really did get a scholarship for this school. It's just that her parents weren't living in Seoul, she didn't exactly know where they were...

-Flashback 6 years ago-

*TW: abuse, violence, swearing just skip past the flashback bit*

"WHY CAN'T YOU DO ANYTHING RIGHT!"

Mirae covered her head and duck down as the sound of glass crashing echoed through the room.

"M-my trophy." Mirae whimpered as she hesitantly looked up at her mother who was towering over her small body.

"Didn't I tell you not to enter that stupid race!"

Mirae let out a loud gasp as her mother harshly grabbed her wrist pulling her away from the corner and into the middle of the kitchen floor. Her head hit the cupboard door as a tears started to roll down her face, fear taking over her body.

A small scream left her lips as she felt a violent tug at the back of her head, Mirae shut her eyes shut as she covered her face.

"Look at me."

Her mother roughly pulled her hands away from her face, scratching her cheek in the process.

"Please don't hurt me..." Mirae hesitantly looked up at her mum with blurry eyes, her heart racing loudly, body trembling.

"Didn't I tell you, your worthless self won't get anywhere with that sort of trash. Just because of that damn trophy don't get your hopes up and focus on school and making money you b*tch."

She spat harshly, pushing Mirae once more leaving the small girl lying on the kitchen counter, surrounded by her tears and muffled cries.

"Your worthless, you can't do anything right, no one loves you. Don't forget that."

-End of flashback-

"Oooh right. It must be fun, living by yourself not having to put up with your parents nagging." Sunwoo laughed, Mirae forcing a laugh.

"I should probably go now. I'll see you tomorrow." Sunwoo said placing the glass on the table getting ready to leave.

Mirae walked to the front door watching Sunwoo put in his shoes.

"See you tomorrow. Make sure to rest well for the game! And have a big breakfast in the morning so your all set!" She waved as Sunwoo sent her a thumbs up.

As she watched his figure disappear, Mirae sighed closing the door, leaning against it, putting her hands to her face as a wave of emotions rushed through her body, leaving her eyes, wetting her face.

She cried. She cried as the same trembling feeling rose, her mind went hazy as she shut her eyes tightly covering her head, trying as hard as she could to muffle out her cries. Just like her mum had told her to.

Be quiet, you don't deserve to be heard, to be listened to. No one wants to listen to you, remember that. I mean it's not like anyone wants to listen to you.

It's not like anyone wants to listen to you.

No one?