19

Sunwoo, turned back around to see Mirae as she held onto his hand with both of hers, positioning herself behind him.

"Mum."

"Mirae... I've been looking for you."

The woman steps closer as Sunwoo felt Mirae pulling him back with her.

"Are you a friend of my Mirae young man?" The woman smiles sweetly at Sunwoo, enough to make him believe she was a nice person.

"Uh I guess you could say that..."

"Would you be able to give me and my daughter a couple of minutes to talk, it's been a long time since we last saw each other." Before Sunwoo could reply, Mirae spoke up as she gripped tighter onto his hand.

"We don't have anything to talk about, please just leave me alone." Mirae's voice shook as she spoke, her eyes watching the woman's every move, flinching from her small actions.

"Mirae honey, I missed you..."

"No you haven't! Please, just leave me alone!" Sunwoo looked at Mirae with worry as he saw tears filling up in her eyes.

"Ma'am I feel like today might not be the best d-"

"Shut up. I'm not talking to you, get out of here." Sunwoo watched in shock as the woman's sweet smile turned into an angry scowl.

"Get over here you b*tch." Mirae flinched, shutting her eyes as the woman stepped towards her, reaching over to grab her.

Mirae opened her eyes slowly upon not feeling anything, seeing Sunwoo, hold onto the woman's wrist.

"Let go of me!"

"Ma'am I don't think you should be here."

Mirae gasped loudly as the woman slapped Sunwoo across his face, making him lose his grip on her. Frozen, Mirae just watched as the woman walked over to her, pulling her towards the door of the house.

"Please let me go." Mirae whimpered as she tried pulling away her arm.

"Shut up and open the door." Struggling, the woman kicked at the door and at Mirae's legs.

"Let her go and leave before I call the police!" Mirae collapsed in front of the door as she held onto her sore wrist.

Her eyes were shut tightly and tears rolled down her face as she heard footsteps walk away.

Sunwoo watched the woman until she disappeared out of his sight then walked over to Mirae. He watched as she trembled, sobbing quietly and held onto her wrist. As he touched her shoulder, she flinched, covering her head with her hands. Sunwoo's heart broke seeing the girl so hurt and scared.

"Mirae it's okay it's me, she's gone, I called the police and I also took a photo so I have evidence, she won't come looking for you again."

Mirae let her arms down breathing deeply, letting Sunwoo help her up from the ground. He watched as she lifelessly stared at the ground.

Sunwoo carefully cupped her face lifting it up, and gently wiped her cheeks with the sleeve of his shirt.

"Can you stay for awhile please..." Mirae looked back down again as she held onto the hem of his shirt. Sunwoo unknowingly burst into a smile.

"Sure."

-

Sunwoo sat down on the couch, watching Mirae as she opened up the first aid kit, grabbing a bandaid and some cream, carefully applying some onto his face.

Sunwoo watched carefully at the girls gentle and kind movement, how her eyes were fixed on the scratch on his cheek and how warm her hands felt holding his face.