9

Sunwoo lay on his bed comfortably as he looked blankly at his phone, the ringing number all too familiar.

I'm sure that's dad's number.

The ringing continued before finally stopping, rage grew in Sunwoo as his blood boiled at the thought of his dad calling him.

Why is he calling now? Never picking up when I tried to call him. But he just calls me whenever he wants?

Sunwoo was angry, he tried to be angry. He wanted to be angry not let his guard down for someone who had abandoned him when he was younger, when he needed him the most.

But the rising anger soon died down as the phone rang again, showing the same number.

Don't pick up don't pick up don't pick up

Sunwoo cringed as he tried to look away from the phone, he finally gave up as he slid the green button, raising his phone hesitantly to his ear.

"...hello?"

"Sunwoo?"

"Dad."

-

Sunwoo now sat at a cafe, a man around his early 50s sitting in front of him. The man had the same dark hair and the big doe eyes, similar face shape, undoubtedly Sunwoo's father.

As Sunwoo observed his father's face, he couldn't help himself but see an older version of him.

"Why did you want to meet?" Sunwoo spoke, breaking the silence, trying to sound as cold and distant as he could, but instead it sounded more welcoming and desperate, definitely not how he sounded in his head.

"I missed you." Sunwoo looked down at his hands which were covering a mug, filled with a warm, dark beverage. He tried to dismiss the sadness in his dad's voice but it lingered at the back of his mind.

"You still look the same." The man's voice cracked, making it harder for Sunwoo to keep the barrier between them.

"Then why didn't you ever call me before?" He asked keeping his head low, trying his best to avoid eye contact.

"I couldn't. I could never let you see me like that. Struggling, anxious, broken. How could a father possibly do that?"

How could a father abandon his son?

"Sunwoo look at me. Please." Sunwoo hesitantly lifted his head, looking into the older mans eyes which curved as he smiled, sighing contently.

"I really did miss you Sunwoo."

It was at that moment that Sunwoo couldn't take it anymore. He knew it wasn't right. It wasn't right for this man in front of him to just come and go as he pleased, whenever he liked.

"How can you be sitting there?" The man's eyes dropped as he looked at Sunwoo's cold eyes.

"How can you be sitting there, looking at your son, who cried everyday wanting you to come back? Wanting you to call, wanting you to let me know that you at least still loved me?"

Sunwoo looked down, trying his best not to let any tears fall down his face. His father reached over to him, trying to hold his hand which Sunwoo moved away, not daring to look up, not wanting to let his empathy show.

"I'm sorry. I can't be sitting here. That wouldn't be fair. That wouldn't be fair to the younger me, who longed to have his father back, who waited years and years for a single word." Sunwoo stood up, still looking down as he breathed in deeply.

"I'm sorry, I need to go."

Sunwoo left the cafe, not turning back even though he was curious. Curious as to what the man was doing.

Is he watching me? Is he crying? Why didn't he say anything? Will he come after me?

Sunwoo's thoughts consumed him as he walked home, wondering what he would do if his father really did come after him.

Do I tell him to go? Do I let him come back into my life?

He had too many questions. None of them being answered. He wasn't even sure if he had made the right decision, whether it was the right thing to not be so empathetic. Or should he have forgiven him? After all he was his father. But he hadn't contacted him in so many years.

Once he arrived home, Sunwoo slumped onto his bed, head into the pillow as he groaned loudly, frustrated by the interaction.

He needed someone to talk to.

He turned around, his back now on the bed, as he took out his phone, ready to call Eric of Changmin. When he turned on the phone, his movements stopped as he saw the picture of Mirae, trying to shoot a basketball.

He then remembered her extra point on their contract. Sunwoo quickly got off his bed and to his school bag, rummaging through the many books and papers.

Finally he saw the inked paper as he unfolded it and read through the conditions.

Number 5: Temporary support link: call to talk 'stress' away!

He smiled, folding the paper back and putting it into his pocket before leaving the house once again.

Reminding himself of the directions to Mirae's house, Sunwoo soon found himself at the front door.

Without hesitation he knocked loudly on the door, hearing a small voice on the other side as the door opened slowly, revealing exactly who he had expected.

Mirae stood there completely shocked as her cheeks flushed at the state she was in.

Her face and clothes, as well as the apron, was covered in flour and chocolate, her hair in a messy bun, wearing teddy bear printed slippers.

"Oh umm oh my gosh this is embarrassing..."

Mirae closed the door slightly, hiding herself behind it as she cringed, hitting herself.

Sunwoo chuckled slightly, finding the state and the attitude of the girl cute.

"Can I come in?"

"Oh yeah, I'm so stupid, come in, it's a little messy in the kitchen because I was trying to make some cupcakes... keyword trying."

Indeed the kitchen was messy, the counter was covered with flour, the floor stained with chocolate, the sink filled with different cooking tools.

Sunwoo watched as the girl took off her apron, washed her hands before turning off the oven and letting down her hair, before retying it.

She let out an awkward smile as she stood in front of him, wondering why the heck he was here.

Sunwoo let out a small laugh and smiled as he grabbed the girls face, brushing off the flour from her cheeks and nose, leaving them burning hot.

Mirae cleared her throat as she avoided eye contact.

"So what brings you here? Unless you heard me screaming when I dropped the flour."

"Yeah that and also... condition number 2 must meet every weekend. Well look at that it's a Sunday. And number 5 temporary support link, call to talk the stress away." He took out the paper, unfolding it and showing it to the girl, specifically pointing at the ones he was talking about.

Mirae nodded and looked up at him, as if expecting something.

"Do you wanna go on a walk?"