13

"Ew! I look so gross! Delete that!" Mirae reached out for the phone as she wiped her sweat using a towel.

"Noooooo I'm keeping this for blackmail." Eric teased looking at the photo of her he had just taken as she ended her training session.

"What?! No! Give me that!" Mirae grabbed for the phone which was just out of her reach as Eric lifted his arm above her head, poking out his tongue teasingly.

"Never!" With one last teasing expression, Eric quickly grabbed his bag, swinging it on his back and ran away.

"Good job again today shorty! I'll see you tomorrow!" Mirae watched him laugh menacingly as he ran away, out of her sight.

She shook her head disapprovingly and went back to get her stuff, chugging the rest of her water.

After finding out that Mirae often has track training after school, Eric decided to tag along, deciding it was better to watch the girl train while waiting for his brother to pick him up.

Because of the casual meet ups, the two got very comfortable with each other, happily teasing and fighting. Of course, Mirae did not think much of it, thinking of it as the same when Joha or Haerin came to watch her. But to Eric, it was the one time where the two of them could be alone without Mirae's friends or Sunwoo being there to interrupt them.

Eric looked at the photos he took of Mirae, laughing at her reactions when she caught the camera. He couldn't help but admire how dedicated she was to each training session, arriving earlier to get in a couple more stretches and volunteering to stay behind to pack up the equipment.

He could tell how much she enjoyed running on the track (she's a runner she's a track star).

"Eric! Over here!" Hyunjae, his brother, waved out the window of his car as Eric began walking over.

"Why do you keep asking me to pick you up so much later? It's so annoying." Eric shrugged, getting in the car, making sure to keep a poker face in front of his brother.

"No reason." Hyunjae scoffed at his simple reply.

"nO rEAsoN" he imitated Eric as he drove out the school, unaware of the small smile on Eric's face as he looked back at the photos.

Unknown to the brothers, Joha stood on the side of the parking lot, watching as the car left the school. She had witnessed Eric and Mirae together, and for some reason, that amused her.

There was a sparkle in Eric's eye when he talked with Mirae, that disappeared as soon as he got in the car with his brother.

She knew what it meant and what she could do with that information.

Joha chuckled to herself as she held onto the straps of her bag, walking out of the school feeling a little more than proud of herself.

-

"Joha!" Mirae runs out the school gates as she jumps on her friend, wrapping her arms tightly around the other girl.

"Hey Mirae~ how was practice?"

"Good, same as always, did you wait long?" Mirae replied as the two began walking side by side.

"Of course not, I was studying and lost track of time and so I quickly ran out." Joha smiled, linking her arm with Mirae as the two walked towards a nearby ice cream shop.

"It's so annoying that we haven't been able to hang out after school as often, especially because Haerin's preparing for her next dance comp, your studying for a maths comp and I've been stuck running races for who knows what." Mirae laughed, receiving the ice cream cone from the cashier.

"Yeah, it's a shame, but hopefully by the time it all finishes we'll be able to hang out everyday." Joha smiled taking a bite out of her cone.

"Mirae!" The two girls looked up, watching as a familiar smiling face walked towards them.

"Oh, hey Changmin." Mirae waved as the boy stood in front of them.

"Hey guys, didn't expect to bump into you." Of course, it is no surprise that the extroverted, friendly classmate has come over to talk to them.

"Mirae!" Hearing her name, the girl poked her head to the side, seeing that Sunwoo was jogging towards the three of them.

Mirae waved once again, a small blush creeping on her face.

"Hey Sunwoo." The two looked at each other smiling, earning a disgusted look from Changmin.

"Okay you two, you go and have your little time together and me and Joha here will leave you to it. Okay bye!"

Changmin grabbed onto Joha's arm as he pulled her past the two others and walked in the opposite direction.

Joha looked back seeing the sweet smile still plastered on Mirae's face, an unfamiliar frustration rose inside her as she gritted her teeth looking away. She harshly pulled her arm out of Changmin's grip glaring at him.

"Piss off and don't touch me." Seeing the surprised look on Changmin's face, Joha rolled her eyes and walked away, not caring one bit how random the sudden outburst was.

Meanwhile, Sunwoo and Mirae still stood across each other awkwardly, both unsure of what to say.

"Ummm, I was able to get some tickets to a carnival at the end of the month and it's not far from here... there'll be rides and stuff." Sunwoo muttered, breaking eye contact from a sudden nervousness that rose inside him.

Why the hell am I nervous.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go?" He straightened his back as he looked back at the Mirae, who soon broke the eye contact due to her own nervousness.

"Yeah, that sounds super fun! Who else is going?" She gripped tightly onto the ice cream cone which was beginning to melt, dripping down the side.

"Oh it would just be us two."

"Oh, sure I'd like that." Mirae smiled, Sunwoo's face too brightening up with a grin as he nodded down at the girl.

"Ok cool, I'll send you the details."

"Ok cool."

"Cool."

Feeling like it was the right time to part, Sunwoo waved and turned around quickly, walking away, too nervous to stand in Mirae's presence any longer.

Why is my heart beating so fast?

It was then that Sunwoo knew it wasn't just a fake relationship he wanted with Mirae, he wanted to be her friend, or even more than that. Getting to know her and spending time with her proved how kind, beautiful and humble she was and he couldn't bare the idea of someone other than him by her side.

He was confused, of course, Sunwoo wasn't sure if his feelings were genuine because they hadn't gotten to know each other for very long. He just hoped she maybe felt the same, even if it was the tiniest bit.

What he didn't know was that every moment Mirae spent with Sunwoo, witnessing his actions and thoughts, she fell for him more and more. But she was quick to reject those feelings for the sake of Sunwoo as the only reason he is talking to her, meeting with her, is for Hana.

Mirae was sure that Sunwoo was over Hana, but this whole fake relationship was the evidence that maybe he hasn't forgotten about her yet.