Chapter 4

---

The rest of the chariot ride was amazing for (M/N) and Katsuki. For the entirety of the opening ceremony everyone was going crazy over them. (M/N) noticed that the giant screen was mostly focused on them, every now and then it would switch to the tributes from the other Districts. But only for a few seconds before it refocused on the boys. They looked so dazzling that even the cameras couldn't stay away from them. It wasn't until the tributes entered the City Circle that (M/N) realised he must have completely cut off circulation to Katsuki's hand, he didn't even remember putting pressure on it. He must have been too focused on the crowds. Although when he tries to unlink his fingers, Katsuki regained his grip.

"Don't let go of me," He said as his blood red eyes lock onto (M/N)'s. "I might fall out of this thing."

"Alright," (M/N) responded, continuing to hold on. Now that the rush from the crowds has died down. (M/N) can't help but feel strange about Keigo's instructions to hold hands. Why present us as a team when we're going to be locked in the arena to kill each other?  Even if that strategy worked here, they weren't going to be all buddy-buddy in the arena, and people would realise it was an act. 

He shook the thought from his head, he'd have time to think about that later. Right now all the tributes were stationed in a line in front of President Nezu's mansion. The president, a small paper-white haired man, gives the official welcome from his balcony. It was tradition to cut away to the faces of every tribute during the speech, but (M/N) could tell his chariot was getting more attention than the others. Once the President finished his speech, and the national anthem began to play, the cameras made a quick effort to show each pair of tributes. But they held once they reached the two boys as all the chariots begin to circle around and head back in the direction they came from.

As soon as the giant doors close behind them, they were swarmed by prep teams, all of them shouting praise. Gazing over at the other tributes, (M/N) could see them all shooting him and Katsuki dirty looks. This confirmed what he suspected; the pair from District 12 completely outshone everyone else. Shortly after, Keigo and Rumi showed up to help the two off the chariot while carefully removing their fiery capes and extinguishing them. (M/N) then realised that his hand was still tightly interlocked with Katsuki's. He forced his fingers open and the two massaged their hands.

"Thanks for holding on to me before, I got a bit shaky there," The blonde boy said.

"It didn't show, I'm sure no one noticed," (M/N) responded. "Even though everyone was probably staring at you the whole time."

To this, Katsuki just scoffed, "Please, they didn't notice anything but you. You should wear flames more often," he stopped before looking at (M/N), "They suit you."

(M/N) was shocked to say the least, he didn't know how to respond to that. (M/N) then recalled what he thought about him back on the train, and during the chariot ride. That's right, don't be stupid. He's luring you in to make you easy prey. The boy reminded himself. The more likeable he is, the more deadly he is. Why else would he be so nice to me when we barely know each other? But as he decided before, (M/N) was going to play along with his little game. So he kissed Katsuki on the cheek.

~

The two tributes were eating dinner with Emi, Shota, Keigo, and Rumi. Emi was especially cheery that evening. (M/N) summed it up to the fact that this was the first team she'd ever chaperoned that made such a grand entrance at the opening ceremony. As she gave everyone a mouthful about how proud she was of the way they conducted themselves, (M/N) did another take in of the room they currently occupied. Even after being on the train, he couldn't believe how fancy everything was, he felt like he was in a royal palace. The walls, roof, and floor all looked to be made out of marble, and were so shiny the reflection of the lights hurt (M/N)'s eyes. By one of the pillars on the other side of the room, there was a spiral staircase made completely out of glass that ascended into the living quarters on the second floor, which were just as extravagant as the rest of his temporary abode. Even the showers left (M/N) baffled as he had spent an hour trying to figure out what all the buttons on the panel did. He went through the first 80 buttons before he managed to turn the shower on.